Sat. 1/2 Day

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Sat. 1/2 Day

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:44 pm

Lures or Bait? I think we caught more on lures. Here are a few of the ones from around the lake.... We caught fish from Morgans point to Cow point and many places along the way... 5 inch size up to almost 4 pounds.... (and then there were the 10 pounders that broke line.) :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:13 am

Maybe it's just your phenomenal picture taking abilities but that is a very nice largemouth. How much did it weigh? :D

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:34 am

I think the bass was about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds. When he cast to an area under a tree the bass shot out and missed the Senko. (we work the lure fast to catch the Tukes) He cast again and let it sink a little then twitched it. BAM

Compared to the peacock bass it was a little thinner, not the fat belly like the tukes... but a nice healthy fish.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:17 am

Stan, over the last month, do you see the fish more active early, mid day or late? The last three times out in the late afternoon the action was slow up until about 6 PM then it was "on" until dark when they completely shut off. Oh by the way...has anyone ever caught a tuc at night? In Texas our bass tournaments would be at night during August and we caught largemouths in the pitch black. So I was curious if the tucs ever get active after dark.
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:50 am

When I eventually get my bass boat I'm gonna lock my self in at the launch ramp and fish all night, I've heard people say they've caught tucs at night..but I've never fished past 6pm here.
FishinFrenzy...The past few times I've been out I've found schooling tucs from as early as 715ISH to about 12 then they die down, but I keep hearing the action picks back up later towards dusk but I'm off the lake by that point.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

night fishing

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:22 am

I know the largemouth bass will bite at night. The HFFA used to have night tournaments. I never heard of tucs being caught at night. I thought they become inactive at night.

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:37 pm

It kind of seems like they do hit the hay when it gets dark. Last 3 or 4 times I've fished, the action was decent from about 5pm until dark when they totally shut off on. I even fished until about 7:30 each time trying to get a bite but no such luck.
Dave

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:50 pm

007- any idea as to what bait? Has to be some sort of lure or glow type worms?

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:00 pm

Boatless one of the best colors/lures to use at night is black plastic worms, not sure why but the fish can see it better. Kinda the same thing when you're fishing real murky/muddy water, dark blues, purples and blacks do well. A couple night tournaments I've fished in we used some worms that had glowing tips on the tails...didn't really seem to work any better than the all black.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:37 pm

Ca_Bass wrote:Boatless one of the best colors/lures to use at night is black plastic worms, not sure why but the fish can see it better. Kinda the same thing when you're fishing real murky/muddy water, dark blues, purples and blacks do well. A couple night tournaments I've fished in we used some worms that had glowing tips on the tails...didn't really seem to work any better than the all black.

Hey guys,

Black worms really stand out well, espacially when there's a good moon night. Black stands out well (dark color). If the moon phase is not ideal, large plastic worms give out a great vibration, when worked. My best baits for night have been "big wake baits". More vibration, the better the results.

I also use big crank baits, black and red color to imulate crawdads. I bounce them hard against rocks.

Mel "Kahuna bass"
Dark side live baiter :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:47 pm

A large black or purple skirted spinnerbait with large Colorado or Indiana blades is also a killer night lure for LM. The Oklahoma blade might be a choice as well but I've only thrown one during the day. I've found that Terminator's Oklahoma blade (a hybrid of Colorado and willowleaf) works pretty good for me. I've also thrown topwater at night with results. The good old "throw-back" lures like the Jitterbug and the Crazy Crawler are among my choices because you can work them slow and still make a big commotion. A Pop R should work too but I haven't tried one. Night topwater is pretty fun because you can hear the bass trying to smack the lure in the dark. Sometimes they miss it numerous times before you feel the pressure of a good grab.
Dave

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:43 pm

what about the rattler type of lure? seems like they would be able to "hear" it in the dark yes?? anyone have any luck with this?

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:03 pm

I also like the jitterbug at night. One of the things I'd do when fishing plastic worms at night is use brass worm weights and a glass bead on the Texas rig. You can actually do that in the day too, seems to have always helped me catch more fish on a plastic worm.

I know finding plastic worms on the Islands is tough so I started making my own. If anyone would be interested I can make custom colors.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Night fishing

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:34 pm

My friends and I tried a few times a long time ago when the bass fishing was still decent. We used the old stand by, the purple plastic worm. We caught some fish but it was not any better than the day time. We fish from shore, so was kind of nuts walking around in the dark. For me, it was better to stick to day light.

Return to “Fishing Reports”