Throwing swimbaits for Tuc's

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:26 pm

Greetings all,

One thing I've learned about big fish, is that, they will take advantage of what ever they can get there mouths on. I recalled once, I drop shoted a small bass, about 3/4 lbs size, as it was coming to the boat, a big fish, I'd say easly 13-15lbs, came up under the boat and swallowed this little bass. Not just mouth the bass, swallowed it whole, nothing sticking out of it's mouth. I was just shocked. Now I have a big fish on, that is heading to the bottom, on 6 lbs maxima line. Tried my best to work it back in deeper/cleaner water, no way. Headed to some under water tree's, bye, bye, bye big bass :cry:

One of our pro-staff guys (John Kerr, US Open champion 2003) continues to catch 10 lbs to 15 lbs on small drop shot baits. Of course in the winter, its all about putting anything in front of the big girls.

Big fish loves anything in front of their face. If it doesn't have to swim far, its all there's. It's also impressive how fast big fish move. They are super quick. That initial burst is just impressive.

Looking forward to throwing the big baits. Let see if we can get the big tucs to go crazy!!

Mel "Kahuna bass"
Dark side live baiter :twisted:

Ca_Bass wrote:My old bass tournament fishing partner caught a 19.4lbs bass on 7inch plastic finesse worm and I've watched him catch a few bass 11-15lbs on the same pastic worms. So yes you can catch big fish on small baits with technique. He also does a lot of fishing with big swim baits and has won the California big bass championship 3 times I believe and two years in a row once this way. A big fish will try to conserve it's energy by eating large meals. At the lake in California we used to fish at the 15+lbs fish seem to primarily eat rainbow trout(Unless they're spawning or it's right in front of their face). I know I've seen world record large mouth chasing rainbows...man that gets your heart pumping. My personnel best large mouth was 10.4lbs, I caught that on a big 8inch soft plastic jerkbait. I wish I could find that picture..it was from when I was 14.
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:12 am

My old tourney partner makes a lot of trout baits, actually one a contest one year from Bassin' magazine sponsored by lure-jensen. Well anyways, he was telling me about how he was throwing the 12 inch trout he made and got close to the boat and this bass came up and inhaled it sideways....a 12inch lure clearing the mouth...unfortunately the bass spit the bait before he could set. I used to always joke with him back in the day that I was gonna catch a 25lb bass from Lake Casitas, that is where we used to fish, he would just laugh and tell me there are no 25lb bass. After his little experience he changed his mind.

Kahuna, if you haven't already, try to take a fishing trip to Lake Casitas in So Cal, while they are in the trout stocking season in the winter. That lake has huge fish that regularly hit swim baits, Before that fish at Lake Dixon was caught I was sure if there was a world record large mouth it would be caught at Lake Casitas.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:02 am

Ca_Bass wrote:My old tourney partner makes a lot of trout baits, actually one a contest one year from Bassin' magazine sponsored by lure-jensen. Well anyways, he was telling me about how he was throwing the 12 inch trout he made and got close to the boat and this bass came up and inhaled it sideways....a 12inch lure clearing the mouth...unfortunately the bass spit the bait before he could set. I used to always joke with him back in the day that I was gonna catch a 25lb bass from Lake Casitas, that is where we used to fish, he would just laugh and tell me there are no 25lb bass. After his little experience he changed his mind.

Kahuna, if you haven't already, try to take a fishing trip to Lake Casitas in So Cal, while they are in the trout stocking season in the winter. That lake has huge fish that regularly hit swim baits, Before that fish at Lake Dixon was caught I was sure if there was a world record large mouth it would be caught at Lake Casitas.

Alec,

Your right, Southern Cal lakes are swim bait heaven.

I do most of my swimbait fishing at San V., Hodges, Dixon, Diamond Valley and some private ponds locally. You can't beat the Florida strain largemouth for size.

Casitas and Castiac are epic big fish lakes, but its too much of headach to get from where I live. L.A. traffic is never fun.

Looking forward to heading up to Clear lake later this year. Great lake lots of big fish, maybe not the size here in SoCal, but an excellent number of good size fish.

Hope to hook up with you while in Hawaii this coming week.

Regards,

Mel "Kahuna bass"
Dark side live baiter :twisted:

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:30 pm

I wish they'd put Florida Strain Largemouth in Wilson.

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:58 pm

That's no lie. It would be a dream if they did. :o Everytime I look at all the cover along the banks I just miss Texas even more and beg to flip a jig or a worm in there, BUT with results! :cry:
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:36 pm

I've caught a few flippin' but not consistent enough to do all day, though I did hook a very nice LGM flipping I'm guessing it was close to 6 but it jumped at the boat and got off. Try Drop shotting in a little deeper water, my wife always catches bass doing that...while I'm trying to pound the bank only catching red devils.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:09 pm

I received my mattlures 5inch tilapia yesterday...waiting till Monday or Tuesday to test it out. I did put it in the bath tub...looks pretty sweet!

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:53 pm

Ca_Bass wrote:I received my mattlures 5inch tilapia yesterday...waiting till Monday or Tuesday to test it out. I did put it in the bath tub...looks pretty sweet!

Matt Servant(matt lures) has some fantastic baits. I brought some with me, that look like baby tucs. Can't wait to throw them tommorrow afternoon.

By far, some of the best swim baits ever made.

Mel "Kahuna bass"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:21 am

I ordered some another tilapia and a few yellow perches that look a lot like baby tucs to me....Oh man I can't wait to land one of those hogs that I've had eat the baby tucs I've had on....my hearts beating faster now thinking about it.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

go small

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:42 pm

Instead of using big swim baits maybe you should try your small 3 inch swim bait. From experience, the big bait, big fish theory doesn't apply to tucunare but that doesn't mean you can not catch a big fish(or small fish) on a big bait.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Re: go small

Postby kahuna bass » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:56 pm

Greetings 007:BASSINASSASSIN,

Thanks for the tip. I did try a couple of the smaller swim baits I had(4" Ospery), again, followers, but not takers.

Tucs and largemouth do have some behavior habits that are common, but as I have learned lately, big bait/big fish theory may not be the norm, under most conditions. It would have been nice to have busting fish on the surface, but hey, you can't always have it your way :wink:

Ain't going to give up yet, will continue to look for ideal conditions to the throw the "mighty wood".

Thanks again,

Mel "Kahuna bass" Dark side live baiter :twisted:
Big bait caster, not big Tuc catcher yet :twisted:

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:17 pm

The new 3:16 Baby Wake may be just the thing for when the peacocks are busting live bait on the surface.

Return to “General Discussion”