First tuc

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

j_man
minnow level

First tuc

Postby j_man » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:42 pm

I got one! Actually two. I went out around 2:30 p.m. and caught nothing for 2 hours but then we found a school of tucs and caught 2 each. (white Senkos) I must have missed 5-10 bites in a 2 minute span. This was my third time on the lake and finally got something going. I don't know where I was, I went left from the ramp, went under 2 bridges and kept going. Where is "Morgan's Point, Blue Boat Point?"
Why am I not fishing right now?

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:08 am

Take a right from the ramp, go under the bridge, past Boy Scout Island and keep heading to the dam area. Blue Boat point is first and Morgan's point is around the corner. Aloha and good luck
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

j_man
minnow level

Postby j_man » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:26 pm

Thank you for the info. Still very new at this and need all the help I can get. I was happy to get 2 but from the way it sounds it is very possible to get a lot more. I don't have a fly rod so I'm probably limited. Heading back on Thurs. afternoon, I'll be looking for those hot spots.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:13 pm

J_man,

I definitely think the fly rod is great for catching schooling tukes, one of my go too lures though is little two inch jerkbaits fished on spinning rods suspending, floating, sinking...they all seem to work and they stay in the strike zone for a long time. They are also pretty easy to cast for how little they are. Seems you went down to the South Fork, I haven't been down that way in awhile and never during this time of year, I think I'll check it out though since you said school of tucs :D Oh yeah, one of the reasons I prefer the fly rod while the tucs are schooling is I can unhook the fish much quicker than the little jerkbaits and get back into the action fast!!! Also when a bust erupts I can just fling all the line right out of the water onto the bust. The quicker you can get to it the more likely you are to hook up.

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:24 am

No worries J-Man. When I first started on Wilson it was pretty slow for me as well. The very first time on the lake all I caught were large mouths and I started wondering...where in the heck are the tucs I hear about? Later on in the year during the heat I started to get a couple. Especially after learning what works and frequently reading everyones posts on here. By the way to all who post here...a big Mahalo because this is a very informative bulletin board. It's a lot of fun to read everyones adventures and advice. I also like that no one talks serious smack on here like other boards.
Dave

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:29 am

Ca_Bass,
Now you're speaking my language. A jerkbait has been my bread-n-butter lure for many years now. If I had to pick only one lure to fish with for the rest of my life, a hard jerkbait is it! No matter what time of year I can always depend on them.
Dave

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

jerk baits

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:28 am

FishnFrenzy, you should do well catching tucs because jerk baits work great on tucs and that is your bread and butter techinque.

j_man
minnow level

Postby j_man » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:44 pm

I agree with you about this forum, it is very informative. That is the only reason I went out with the 2" white Senkos. That seems to be the bait of choice as far as spinning tackle goes. I plan to go tomorrow afternoon if I can get out of work before traffic starts to get bad going up H-1/H-2. I think I'm going to try around Boy Scout Island. Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “Fishing Reports”