south fork fish??

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Boatless
King Sushi level

south fork fish??

Postby Boatless » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:59 pm

Anyone ever fish up the south fork of lake wilson? We took a ride up there w/ the fishfinder and saw a few things, not much. Just wondering whats up there as nothing was "busting" the water nor was there any pleco's gulping air. Its a really nice area and the water looks inviting but no bites.

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:00 pm

I guess same question with the upper north fork past the bridge???

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:47 pm

I was thinking of trying it this week. Thursday for sure. It's hard to go south when all the action is going on in the north fork.

For the Health Dept. testing we need to catch tukes and red devils in the south fork above the launch ramp.
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:33 am

Every time I go to the South fork I usually catch a few tucs, I have a felling there are quite a few fish back there but I haven't fished that area a whole lot. I'd also bet the Large Mouth fishing is probably a little better, But I don't really know. There are a few coves and points back there that I've done pretty good on.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:58 pm

Clay and I caught 9 red devils. They were really spookie. And we only saw about 20 or so all day. Did catch 3 peacock bass about 3/4 pound size. Saw some larger ones but they were guarding fry. Saw some that looked like they wanted to spawn, but they moved away as we got close.
Very difficult fishing..... Just the kind of chalenge that Clay likes.
(Should have gone where the fish were.) :lol:
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:42 pm

Sounds like the south fork is for experts only. Guess we'll hang in the main basin where fishing is "easier"- for now. Sure is a nice area though.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

challenge

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:46 pm

If Clay is looking for a challenge, maybe he should try for a Lake Wilson Grand Slam, 1 peacockbass, 1 largemouth bass, and 1 smallmouth bass all in one day on a fly rod.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:28 pm

I got the Lake Wilson Grand Slam once, but not on a fly rod. Caught all three species way up the North Fork where the stream/river feed into the lake. I should try for that again on a fly rod, it would be tough, but it'll have to wait until my outboard is working again to get up that far.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Slam

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:55 am

Cool Ca_Bass! I have fished Wilson for many years and I don't think I ever got one. It is really tough from shore. Getting one with a fly would be pretty tough too. I really would like to learn to fish with a fly rod. I have a rod, the book, the dvd, but I never get around to practicing it.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:12 pm

I can't think of many places to fly fish from shore at lake wilson. I have only been fly fishing for about 4 months now, a buddy of mine from work took me out bonefishing at hickam.....needless to say I'm hooked. Slayed the tucs today caught about 25-30 from 9am-1230 all on little white flys. I definitely think there are times where fly fishing can out produce regular fishing, but all my large fish at Lake Wilson so far have been caught on big spinnerbaits, crankbaits and topwaters. BASSINASSASIN, I would agree with you about the Lake Wilson Grand Slam being extremely difficult from shore, if not impossible. I don't know much about getting to places from the shore to fish at Lake Wilson. I would like to find a way into one of the rivers that feed the lake and go small mouth fishing, I've heard it's pretty good when you get in there.

Return to “General Discussion”