water level on the lake

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

hitoshe
angler level

water level on the lake

Postby hitoshe » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:51 am

the forum's been pretty quiet lately. anybody able to tell me if the water level is still high? plan to go there soon, and we fish from shore, so any info is appreciated. thanks.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:08 pm

Water level is very high. Spoke with guys yesterday and today who have been catching some spawning peacock bass.... largest weighed 7 3/4 pounds.... 6 to 8 fish per angler. Most in the 2 to 4 pound size range.

Every day this week Chris has been catching lots... LOTS, of little ones (under 10 inches) and some in the 2 to 3 pound range. (he likes to work the shoreline with 4# & 6# test spinning gear and those 2" white Senkos.

Peacock and large mouth are also starting to school and are busting shad on the surface. That should pick up in the weeks to come.

All and all, looks like a good time to go fishing.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Bozu
bass level

Postby Bozu » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:16 pm

Water level is currently 77.63 feet and rising. The mauka showers we missed in spring have finally arrived. We'll see what tropical depression Cosme adds to the mix. Looks like it might slide too far south of Oahu to produce any significant rainfall.

The National Weather Service keeps tabs on the lake water level.
Check out this site for realtime updates.

[/http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=hnl&gage=wrsh1&view=1,1,1,1,1,1url]

Water levels are observed at the Dam site. Water levels over 80 feet means that water is emptying over the spillway. A water level approx. 74 feet and below and you'll start to see the long point off of Boy Scout island start to appear.

Scroll down and check precipitation rates if you want to see if the water will continue to rise or start to drop. The rain guage mauka (Koolau Mt.) side is the main contributor. It can rain like cats and dogs right over the lake and Wahiawa town and you won't see a very big jump in water level.
However, all thats needed is a weeks worth of steady, light mauka showers and you'll begin to see the levels rise.

I hope this helps.

Bozu

Bozu
bass level

Postby Bozu » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:39 pm

I just tried going to the National Weather Service URL I just posted and I got a error message. Sorry about that. The NWS may get its info from the US Geological Service, so try this site.

[/uhttp://waterdata.usgs.gov/hi/nwis/uv/?site_no=16210000&PARAmeter_cd=00065rl]

Try and tinker around with this site. I believe you can customize the info to your liking.

Again, sorry about the mixup.

Bozu

hitoshe
angler level

Postby hitoshe » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:18 pm

thanks for all the response guys. and thanks stan for the fish report - looks like i can still catch something, even tho it might be wet for the next few days.

Return to “General Discussion”