bluegills

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

lastcall808
angler level

bluegills

Postby lastcall808 » Wed May 30, 2007 8:08 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows of howt he bluegills got into the lake long ago. I've been told that they are a blast to catch, and was wondering if there are any plans to restock the lake at anytime.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed May 30, 2007 8:49 pm

If you go to the Wahiawa Sporting Goods, they used to have a little description and history of all the types of fish in the lake right on top of the glass showcase. Might still be there.
I agree that the bluegills were a blast to catch. For their size, they are hard fighters and aggressive little buggers. Catching them on a panfish popping bug on the surface is really fun. I miss catching them. In the past 5 years, I've only seen one, and it was around 3". Sad.
Maybe Stan can answer your question about stocking. Personally, I think it would be futile, because the cichlids would decimate them almost instantly.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Thu May 31, 2007 10:44 am

Hey Skunked, I was out fishing May 25th and caught 2 bluegills on earthworms off Boy Scout Island. They too were small but were larger than 3". Both were around 5" and in good health.
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Thu May 31, 2007 11:16 am

Hey, that's great news! Also great is the fact that you got a hold of some earthworms!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Thu May 31, 2007 3:07 pm

Yea, the worms are sometimes hard to come by in great numbers. I remember when I was a kid on the mainland my uncle taught me how to make a worm bed. He dug a hole about 1' - 2' across and about the same deep in an area that stayed moist (not too wet). He then ripped a lot of newpaper into strips about 3" or so wide. He would thoroughly soak them with water and stuffed them in the hole and buried it. He then dug it up several weeks or so later and there would be tons of night crawlers inside eating the paper. It was easy pickins'. I haven't tried this here on the island but I'm tempted to.
Dave

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Bluegill

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:48 am

I don't know when the bluegill were first introduced, but we use to catch a lot of them before the sulvenia molesta weed took over the lake. Starting to see a few now and then, but not like they use to be...... feeding on the surface and perfect targets for a small popping bug or rubber spider.

The bass club is raising bluegill in the Waheawa hatchery to be released into the lake. We already sent a shipment to Kauai. It will be a slow process, but we're working on it.

The state record is 8 oz. http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/records_d.cfm?ID=92
(that's my flyrod she's holding) LOL We've caught larger fish, but never took the time to turn in the paper work.

As for the worms, just get a rake or hoe and quickly scrape in the leaves under the trees at the Freshwater park. You have to be quick. Those worms are really fast.

Till the bluegill get reestablished I'll stick to catching red devils. (got a one pounder this week) Also fun on to catch on ultra light tackle.
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:50 pm

That's how I found my worms, under the leaves. I tried to get some the other morning but the dirt was too dry at the time and they were deeper. But after a rain they are there.
Dave

lastcall808
angler level

Postby lastcall808 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:52 pm

Great! I look forward to trying my luck at those gills in a few years then. I was told that they are the only thing that will hit a dry fly on the lake. Maybe by then I'll have a boat :? .
Is it hard to fly cast from a boat, Stan? I've only cast from shore so far.

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:49 pm

I caught one over 8oz. on a beetle spin a couple months ago. I see them swimming around from time to time in the structure but have only caught a few.

The middle school has been very sucessful at breeding the guys.

Cabodude
angler level

Postby Cabodude » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:27 am

Crappie or Bluegill tip: If you catch one crappie or one bluegill, inflate a small balloon and attach one or two pound fishing line to it and tie the other end to the mouth of the fish where the hook was. The crappie or bluegill will lead you to the school of fish. Just follow the balloon all day catching all the crappie and bluegill you want. At the end of the day. Retrieve the balloon and let the fish go unharmed.

Return to “General Discussion”