Nuuanu catfishing

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

skunked
King Sushi level

Nuuanu catfishing

Postby skunked » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:55 pm

Any of you guys/gals sign up for the next one? My fiance and I just sent our cards in yesterday. This will be our 3rd time, I think. Hopefully, the weather is nice. Hope to see you guys there!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

tucmaster
master baiter level

Postby tucmaster » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:05 am

Yeah, I take my son and nephew three times a year. Lots of fun and usually plenty of action. I don't use anything heavier than 10 lb. test. - my son has landed catfish up to 15 lbs. with it. We don't eat catfish and so we give away our fish at the weigh station. We've had our best luck on salmon belly that you can find in the fish department at almost any supermarket. Others have used commercial catfish bait with good results. As always, good luck and good fishing.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:14 pm

My GF and I went out on saturday and caught a total of 11 cats. Only one was over a pound though. Not too good, but we had fun as always. The guy there said a new pond record of 26 lbs. was caught earlier this year!

John Locke
bait level

Postby John Locke » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:45 pm

how can I set an avatar on this chat board??[size=0].[/size][size=0].[/size][size=0].[/size][size=0].[/size][size=0].[/size][size=0].[/size]
[size=0]Pilot James McDuigue
Flight To Maui Hawaii[/size]

tucmaster
master baiter level

Nuuanu Catfishing

Postby tucmaster » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:59 pm

I took my son and his cousin (12 & 10 years old) to Nuuanu Reservoir this past Saturday morning. The water level was way down and we got rained on early but the sky eventually cleared up. Using fresh salmon belly for bait, the boys caught a 7 lb. 7 oz. and an 11 lb. 12 oz. within the first hour. Good battle on 8 lb. test - from my past experience, it seems the smarter catfish give the bait a few tugs and then drop it if they feel resistance from heavy line and sinker, so we stay away from using anything heavier than 8 or 10 lb. test. After the first two fish, the action slowed down and only landed small ones under 2 lbs. We don't eat catfish and we leave our catch at the weigh station for the game wardens to give to other fishermen. Looking forward to the next session in November.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:36 am

Great job on the big cats! I wish I had been able to catch a good one, but maybe next time. When I caught my 8 1/2 pounder, it bit within the first 20 minutes and then it was all small ones after that. That was last year.
Do you know when the sign up period starts for the november session?

leoric
bass level

Postby leoric » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:40 pm

Return to “General Discussion”