Sun Morning, 10 Aug

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Sun Morning, 10 Aug

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:40 am

The fish weren't schooling like the day before. The water was like glass... a perfect day for a kayak.

Moving on down the lake we spotted some red devils. This one fell for a small jig. Usually when you see red devils, there are peacock bass around.

With the water level down about 10 feet the little baitfish have no grass to hide in. You'll find them in the shallow water near points. The larger peacock bass cruise the shoreline waiting for a chance at an easy meal.
This 3 pounder was chasing baitfish and a perfect cast into the area of the feeding frenzy attracted his attention.

Topwater lures have been doing well the last few days.

Finally we arrived at Blue Boat Pt. where these anglers were already catching fish.

If your using live bait, it seems the more people fishing.... the faster the action. The average peacock bass today was a little more on the larger side. About 3 pounds was the largest. We were tagging fish just as fast as they could get them in the boat. It only took a few hours to use up all of our 100 baits.

Then this young lady caught a strange looking thing. Armored Catfish?
It kind of got snagged and tangled in her line.

I've seen people catch them on worms or bread, but never on a lure.

We see them all over the lake gulping air at the surface.

At the pet store, these little guys are about 2 inches long and sucking the algae off the side of the fish tank. Release in Hawaii's streams and lakes they become a 2 pound invasive species... a real pest.

Just another 1/2 day of fun at Lake Wilson.
:D :D :D
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:31 am

Hey Stan that ain't you in the kayak is it? :wink:
That strange creature is a Sailfin Plecostymus a type of armored catfish. I have one in my fish tank. I have caught plenty of them on lures but I like to troll in the Lake and they are SO numerous it's not difficult to snag them while cruising along usually in the dorsal or pectoral fin. I hear the Indians along the Amazon River eat these things throwing them right on the fire whole pulehu Kala style and crack them open like a lobster to get at the meat. Anyone here willing to give them a try? :lol:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

JChen
master baiter level

Postby JChen » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:06 pm

Ugh... those things are ugly and annoying, especially in those streams...

Stan: Jamel would like to extend his thanks for letting him come out and fish with us. He had a blast and is still trying to cope with the act of C&R.

Return to “Fishing Reports”