Trashy Banks

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

cameroncarr0311
angler level

Trashy Banks

Postby cameroncarr0311 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:32 am

I was just wondering do they highly inforce the littering law around lake wilson, because there is a lot of trash that is just thrown all over the banks, I think that lake wilson is a treasure for Oahu to have and people should take better care of it, also do they ever have like an annual clean up around the lake or anything like that, I know im kinda complaining but I love to fish not just catch fish but to enjoy the veiw and the relaxed setting of the lake but its hard to get the relaxed vibe when you see big piles of beer bottles and large overflowing bags of trash, I just think that the town of wahiawa should organize a clean up of the lake and I would gladly volunteer to help.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:48 pm

Once or twice a year everyone gets together and has a clean up day on the lake. The Army always pitches in with manpower and a few dump trucks.... we fill them up. Everyone with a boat pitches in.

Notice that all the trash is on the South Fork? There was one apartment that we called the police and health department on. They usually didn't even bag their trash before they tossed it over the fence and into the lake.
After the health dept made them clean it all up they stopped. Or moved, I haven't heard any loud parties lately from those places to the right just after the bridge.

Most of the trash on the South fork comes from these rental apartments and the urban outdoorsmen (that would be 'homeless person' for those of you who don't want to give these less fortunate people a romantic and adventurous title) You don't see it on the North Fork behind the privatly owned homes.

Another big problem is runoff from the streets during a big rain...
All the "litter" along the streets and highway (Hawaii is really bad about littering) washes into the gutters and directly into the lake. Notice most of our boats have that brown "ring around the coller".... that's from the oil off the streets wasning into the lake.

A good start would be to crack down on litter bugs. Next time you drive on any street or highway.... H-1, H-2, H-3...... Look along the side of the road where there is grass growing.... it's thick with litter, rubbish, cans, bottles...... Just got back from a 6 state driving vacation and on the mainland they don't tolerate litter bugs.... Hawaii has a real problem. Hawaiias roads are a mess.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:29 pm

I'm sorry to say that after visiting Oahu, I had the same sentiment. There's a lot of trash in a lot of places.

Ontario streets are fairly clean...but it is getting worse by the hour. What I hate most is to see little kids litter and the parents not correcting the kids right away. Even worse than that is to see a kid litter and see the parents kick the trash aside.

Talk about teaching your kids bad habits. I always go by the belief that "If you can carry it in, you can carry it out!" You often find my pockets full of empty wrappers, my backpack full of days old newspapers and after a fish trip, a birdnest of cut bits of lines in my pockets or backpacks :lol:

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:52 pm

Greetings All,

It is too bad the littering has become the problem it is. If everyone just took the extra time to get rid of their own trash, it sure would make a big difference.

It's not just Hawaii, we have it bad here in SoCal too. It's too bad we can't have it as nice as Singapore!! City is clean :wink: So they may be a bit strict about simple issues, but still, the city is clean. And Safe too.

Stan, I like the urban outdoorsmen comment. 8) People should just be held accountable. Fact!

bass regards, Mel "Kahuna bass"
Dark side trash picker :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:32 pm

i always carry a small trash bag and pick up odds and ends as i fish,but its like a drop in the bucket, few weeks later same stuff all over.

Return to “General Discussion”