swim baits

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

swim baits

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:53 am

Swimbaits are the "nations latest fishing craze" (according to tackletour.com). I have seen it fished on tv and it does catch big fish. I was wondering what is so great about these lures. Maybe I might get some, if not for bass, maybe some other application.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:40 pm

Greetings 007,

Your right, seems like everyone is on the swimbait craze.

First, swimbait fishing is not for all. I've been throwing the big plastics and wood baits for about 5 years. Baits are any where from 4" to 12", most over 6". For me, its the "pure rush" of hooking into a large fish.

Though most of my swim bait fish range from 1-1/2 to over 9 pounds. Most of my success has been fish from 5 to 7 lb size. I've had a few fish over ten, but my hook set or throwing the bait, has been my down fall.

With swim baits, most of the bites are aggressive. Sometimes, just slow rolling a bait off the bottom, and all of a sudden, slam!, your on!!. Big fish are not shy about big baits!! :twisted:

Other times, just fishing a big profile swim bait, with good wake action, can cause the big girls to act up! You may find yourself, "dead sticking" a swim bait for few minutes(maybe even longer), and that sudden twitch, bam!, it's on.

Don't expect great numbers, most of the time, numbers are very few. You may only get one or two bites for the day, but majority of the time, its a good size fish.

If you lack patients, this is not the type of fishing for you. :wink:

And finally, with the new style "paddle swim baits", this is truly the new trend of bass fishing. You can throw paddle swim baits in any type of conditon or cover. Keep it weedless, you can fish it almost any way you desire, with results.

Just my .02 cents.

Good luck with the new craze!

Bass regards, Mel "kahuna bass"
Dark side live baiter and swim baiter tackle ho! :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

fishing a swim bait

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:25 am

Thanks Mel, how do you fish a swim bait? What would you do if you were targeting tucunare?

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:50 pm

Sorry for the delay. Been too busy with work, not much time to fish :x

As for swim baits, it all depends on the types you get.

Wake baits - slow retrieve, pushes a lot of water on the surface.

Slow roller type - just cast and work along the bottom slow.

Paddle swim bait - cast any conditions, slow roll, mid retrieve, or fast retrieve

Dead stick type - Just cast, let it sit a bit, twitch, sit, twitch, etc.

Many options, it comes back to you, "fishing with confidence"

If I was fishing for Tucs, I would consider a wake bait for surface or a paddle tail type, slow rolled along the bottom

Bass regards, Mel "Kahuna bass"
Dark side swim baiter/live baiter :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Return to “General Discussion”