Throwing swimbaits for Tuc's

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Throwing swimbaits for Tuc's

Postby kahuna bass » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:05 am

Greetings All,

Heading back to the islands next week, just wanted to know if any one has had any luck lately throwing the big swim baits.

As aggressive as the tucs have been this summer, I just can't see why 6" to 8" swim baits would not work, espacially on the bigger ones.

Standing by for your thoughts.

Mel "kahuna bass", dark side live baiter :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:46 am

Kahuna,
I haven't thrown a large swimbait yet however; the largest bait I've caught a tuc on is a 5 1/2" Rattlin' Rogue. That day it seemed like the bigger my lure, the bigger the tuc. It doesn't always work out that way as some guys can tell you. The larger tucs often eat the smallest of flies as well. Go figure, huh?
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:17 pm

I'll agree with the big lures catch big fish thing, 90% of my really big fish I've caught at Lake Wilson and other places were on big lures. I guess it kinda comes down to quality over quantity and which you prefer....I like em both at the same time!!!!!!! but that never happens :(

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:27 pm

I would go with something like a Baby Wake, Wake Jr, a 6 or 8in castaic platinum, or a Rock Hard Platinum in the above sizes. Maybe even a huddleston shad.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:55 pm

This week we had several 9 to 10 inch peacock bass on that were attacked right beside the boat by some BIG peacock bass. So I guess the big fish will take big lures.
One guy last week caught several large ones on a huge green Mahimahi fly. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't believe it.

Then one day last week I caught all the 3 pounders and whole bunch of under one pound ( under 1/2 pound?) :lol: on my little 2 inch white Senko.... while my friend using the 4 inch Senkos just got follows.
How do you figure?

You toss your big baits and I'll catch a bunch of fish with my little ones.... but I bet if you do get a strike it will be a big'un.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:50 am

I always tell myself that I'm gonna go out one day with nothing but big baits and throw em all day and see how I do. It's hard for me to bring myself to do it when I know I can catch a whole lot on the smaller baits though. One of these days I'll man up and throw a man bait lol :D

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:18 am

Let's go fishing... :D
You can test your theory on big baits.. :?:
I'll use my small baits and catch all the "little" fish.. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:41 am

Stan,

Your on!

Throw big, wish big, catch small!! It only takes one big one.

I'll bring some extra swim baits for you, who knows, might even convert you over to the Dark side :twisted:

I can see it now,"Stan-Darkside swim baiter" :twisted: :twisted:

Mel "Kahuna bass"
Dark side live baiter (swim baiter too) 8)

Stan Wright wrote:Let's go fishing... :D

Stan

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:46 am

Ca_bass,

You up to some swim bait fish'n!

Maybe we can show Stan a thing or two, on the art of throwing the big wood/rubber/plastic swim bait.

Mel "kahuna bass"
Dark side live baiter :twisted:

kahuna bass wrote:Stan,

Your on!

Throw big, wish big, catch small!! It only takes one big one.

I'll bring some extra swim baits for you, who knows, might even convert you over to the Dark side :twisted:

I can see it now,"Stan-Darkside swim baiter" :twisted: :twisted:

Mel "Kahuna bass"
Dark side live baiter (swim baiter too) 8)

Stan Wright wrote:Let's go fishing... :D

Stan

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:21 pm

I'm up for some swim bait fishing kahuna...but I think I only have a few with me. One day during the first tournament here that I fished I had caught a decent limit 3 fish for a little over 6lbs, so I decided to throw a big crankbait in deep water under the schooling tucs, first cast I get slammed my rod got pulled down to the side of the boat and I get broke off...I don't know what it was. For all I know it could have been a big catfish. But all I can picture in my head is about a 10lbs tuc :D

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:24 pm

Oh yeah Kahuna,

I'll be off the 24th and the 25th and 28th 29th and 30th so I can take you up on the swimbait action if you're here then.

Alec

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:57 am

Check out the tilapia swimbait that mattlures makes...looks pretty sweet to me, let you guys know if it works when I get mine.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... MLBG.html#

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:05 am

Alec,

Mattlures swim baits are one of the best during the spawn, for largemouth bass. I've got know Matt Servant, and am totally impressed with his lure making abilities. If I ever figure out how to post pictures, I'll show you some of the swim baits I've gotten from Matt. He truly is a professional.

I've been involved with the fishing taclkle industry for the past 10 years, setting up different accounts world wide. This also and allowed me to meet many different smanufactures and added different swimbait to my collection. My last count, I have over 400 swim baits, from 3" size to some baits over 15" long, however, most baits are in the 6" - 9" size.

My favorites are: Matt lures bluegil and trout, Osprey 6" & 9" swimbait, Rago 8" tool, Rago Rat, Huddleston 8" trout, Huddleston shad, Monster Jack, BBZ, and the new Baitsmith 6" trout.

One day, I'll get my 10lbs! (9-4 still my best)

Mel "Kahuna bass"
Dark side live baiter (swim baiter too) :twisted:

Ca_Bass wrote:Check out the tilapia swimbait that mattlures makes...looks pretty sweet to me, let you guys know if it works when I get mine.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... MLBG.html#

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

big bait, big fish

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:15 am

I think you guys will end up catching a huge largemouth bass instead of a big tuc. Back in the day, once in awhile I would see big dead bass with big tilipia stuck in their mouths floating on the top of the water. Never did see a tuc die this way. The tuc's mouth is a least as large as a largemouth bass. To me, presentation, skill, and techique is more important than using a large bait to catch a big tuc. Maybe I am wrong. I have to ask Kelton the next time I talk to him. I hope you guys will post your results even if you do not catch anything. This should be interesting.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:59 pm

My old bass tournament fishing partner caught a 19.4lbs bass on 7inch plastic finesse worm and I've watched him catch a few bass 11-15lbs on the same pastic worms. So yes you can catch big fish on small baits with technique. He also does a lot of fishing with big swim baits and has won the California big bass championship 3 times I believe and two years in a row once this way. A big fish will try to conserve it's energy by eating large meals. At the lake in California we used to fish at the 15+lbs fish seem to primarily eat rainbow trout(Unless they're spawning or it's right in front of their face). I know I've seen world record large mouth chasing rainbows...man that gets your heart pumping. My personnel best large mouth was 10.4lbs, I caught that on a big 8inch soft plastic jerkbait. I wish I could find that picture..it was from when I was 14.

Return to “General Discussion”