Ala Wai Fishing

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

bsp
master baiter level

Ala Wai Fishing

Postby bsp » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:13 am

Hey everybody I went fishing in the Ala Wai today and I must say it was interesting. The water was muddy and visibility was about 1 foot deep at most. The only fish I saw and caught were tilapia. Does anybody know if the papio and barracuda abandon the Ala Wai when the visibilty is poor or was I just unlucky. I was using a gold and red jerkbait and lure similair to some Mark White's plugs in chartreuse and clear. Both were retrieved quickly
alternating between the surface and about 1-2 feet deep. Thanks and please tell me if you think I am doing something wrong. Just so you guys know these are the ONLY lures I have as I lost my box that had all my other lures including my dedicated topwaters :evil:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:25 pm

Sounds like it was just a bad day. What area were you fishing? I normally fish the area from the library by Diamond Head back along Ala Moana Blvd. Perhaps the recent rain stirred everything up. Normally the visibility is better.

There have been lots of news reports on the one year anniversary of the big sewage spill and it seems that things are all back to normal and the canoe paddlers feel it's safe to be in the water. So says the Health Dept.

Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Dave Hennessey
bass level

Postby Dave Hennessey » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:28 pm

bsp

Look for Kanapolei (or something like that) Blvd on the hotel side. fish a couple hundred yards on either side of kanpolei. Thats where i had my best luck. If you can try to get your hands on two types of lures: flashy swimmers - like Rapalas and yo zuris, the more colorful the better, and small topwaters, preferably spooks or tsunamis. This is what I caught 90 percent of fish on. I'm guessing you probably just got a slow day, so keep at it.

Also, look right near the pods of tilapia (that is what they are right?). Barracuda were always hanging out right near the side of the canal, and a lot of times i literally cast right down below me at a 2 foot cuda sitting on a shopping cart or something. there a lot of fish in the canal, put your time in.

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:34 am

Okay guys, I will go to Sports Authority to pick up some new stuff. Hopefully I will have more luck and finally catch a cuda or papio instead of a tilapia. What is weird is that the tilapia actually ate my minnow lure. Thanks and I will keep at it!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:50 am

Got a call from Ben Wong and he wants to do another TV show... Ala Wai. We're trying for next week. I promice to show all the "Secret Spots" and "Hot Lures" that we use. LOL
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:53 pm

Stan Wright wrote:Got a call from Ben Wong and he wants to do another TV show... Ala Wai. We're trying for next week. I promice to show all the "Secret Spots" and "Hot Lures" that we use. LOL
Stan

Cool... best of luck. Maybe you could try some of Mark Whites latest plug ideas.

Return to “Fishing Reports”