WOW My very first large mouth bass!

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

BadBass
master baiter level

WOW My very first large mouth bass!

Postby BadBass » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:12 am

We also caught one peacock bass, red devil, and a catfish. Tha bass was the highlight though. I usually use live bait because im new to the lake, we where about to call it the day when we saw some action at the top of the water so i threw out my best rapala style lure. As i was retrieving it i felt like i was getting stuck on the bottom as i reeled it in..? Wait a minute i'm way to deep to be catching the bottom that was a fish! So i recast to the same spot and jigged the lure with longer strokes and then BAM hook up! As it got closer to the boat i was like what the heck is that? I had totally been focusing on the tuc's and forgot that the lake has large mouth bass.

Anyway im learning how to fish the lake slowly and learning the different ways to fish there. Thank you for all the information on this forum. See you on the lake.

Aloha,
BadBass
one badbass fisherman

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:14 am

Thats a nice looking Tuc there! 8)

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:36 am

Good catch. On those schooling fish busting at the surface.... try casting a gold CastMaster.

I'm glad to hear your catching.
:D
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:46 am

Nice job on the Largemouth Bass! I don't catch much of any type of fish, but when I catch a bass, it feels like an accomplishment. I don't feel that way about any other fish in the lake. Did you measure it?
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

BadBass
master baiter level

Postby BadBass » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:07 pm

Yes i did. it was about 14" long. That was the first fish i caught from whipping in the lake. I'm still waiting for the day that i catch multiple tuc's. I hear the good days people have on the lake. I always ask when i see guys coming in to the ramp how was the fishing? And every so often they will tell me they caught a dozen or more. Two weeks ago someone told me he caught 32 tuc's and you know what i beleive him because he had lots of pictures of his previuos catches. One day it will happen for me, one day i will post the videos and share that day with the forum.

Fishing for Tuc's on the lake is an addiction! Is there a cure? LOL :lol:
one badbass fisherman

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:17 pm

That is my neighbor who caught 32 Tucs weekend before last. My personal best is 27 in exactly 2 hours. 8) I believe ya gotta find the right spot with live bait to catch the big numbers. I'm not so much stuck on a high number of catch, just enough to keep it fun! (ya gotta have time to enjoy the cold beer!)

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:43 pm

The most I ever heard of.....
One day last year, Larry took 3 people out and they caught 332 peacock bass. Live bait. I think they were out there from 9 or 10 to almost 5 pm.
They ran out of bait several times. :lol:

Chris was fishing with 2 guys several years ago who used their own 4# test spinning rods and live bait. When I ask Chris how they did, he said they got 37 fish. Not bad.... Then Chris said they only counted the ones OVER 3 pounds. :o :o :o

The next day, same place, same kind of live bait...different anglers...
7 fish all day....

When ever someone asks: "How many fish can I expect to catch in a day"? Chris answers: "Depends on the weather and how well you can cast".
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:51 pm

congrats on the bass! tucs are better fighters but thier agression makes em easier to catch too.sometimes im fishing bass techniques and ill hook one that fights so hard i think ive got like a 5 lber on then i get em up and its a 1lb tuc hahaha. personal best lost track one day after about 60 fish mixed bag tucs and lmbs,partner in the boat also well over 60.stopped counting at some point, was all on lures,got so crazy we would just retie things from the tackle box to see if we could catch on diffrent things or lures that never worked before.days like that are soooooooooooo rare. if i had to guess was well over 150fish between the two of us in about 6 or 7 hours and we left them still goin! a cardinal sin!! but his wife was callin and the sun was hanging low hahahaha.

typical8o8
angler level

Postby typical8o8 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:24 pm

you guys ever "decoyed" tucs prior to the C&R implementation? tucs galore! every day!

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:30 am

Hey Badbass, that is a good size bass for your very first one! I'm positive you'll be reporting you caught 30 tucs soon because you seem to have the passion for fishing. For me, learning to catch fish is part of the fun so enjoy the journey.

Stan isn't it funny how some days the fish bite like crazy and you wonder where they all come from and there are days when the lake is dead and you wonder where they all went.

Typical8o8, people still do that. Once in a great while I will find one tied up to the bank unattended to. I think a few live baiters are doing that.

BadBass
master baiter level

Postby BadBass » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:02 pm

well went out today. caught a tuc, red devil, catfish (while trolling) and a large mouth. was fun but seen alot of tuc's breaking the surface

not a passion more like an addiction! LOL

BadBass
one badbass fisherman

BadBass
master baiter level

Postby BadBass » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:10 pm

we look alot alike. LOL thats it!.... i'm shaving! he hit my rapala while trolling.
one badbass fisherman

Return to “Fishing Reports”