sunday fishin in the rain

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

sunday fishin in the rain

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Fished the HFFA tourny today...I caught 7 or 8 total, unfortunately nothing big. 3 fish limit 3lbs8oz :( Started at the same place I fished Thursday where I caught 15 or 16 fish over the course of a few hours. Not so good today. It was pretty hot and humid for the first hour or two, and no fish. Then the wind started to pick up and I caught 4 or 5 little guys at my "secret" spot in about 30 minutes, which got my hopes up! Lost what would have been my big fish of the day probably a 2lb'er. At this point my "secret" spot was wore out. So we moved on without any bites. Tried my current 2nd favorite spot and lost a little bass on a jig as I was flipping him in the boat. Wondered around aimlessly for an hour or so trying to figure a plan out then it started to sprinkle and noticed the fish started to get a little more active. Caught one that was about 1.5lbs on a spinnerbait. Went back to my current favorite area and then the floods came, it was actually quite misserable for awhile we were absolutely soaked! Even with my gortex jacket. The rain was coming in through my cuffs. My shorts where soaked through even my underwear were wet. At one point I thought to myself...this the coldest I've ever been in Hawaii I'm not sure I've ever seen such heavy rain. The water was VERY murky, probably 1ft to 6inch vis in some areas. Seemed like I had to pretty much run into a fish to get a bite. On one cast I was watching my spinnerbait which I could see fairly well, then I see it move sideways, and feel a "thunk" then I set. My bait was probably running at 1ft and no more than 6ft away from me and I couldn't see the fish hit. I guess a good name for the color of the water would be bass brown :) I think I had 4 or 5 fish come off. The last 2 times I've fished I've had bad luck with losing fish. Looking at the number of fish I caught and lost today fishing wasn't actually as bad as it
seemed while I was out there.

Cheesefish
bass level

Postby Cheesefish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:54 am

We went out on Friday at about 7:45 and had similar results to you. We wanted to go see the big schooling and busting on shad that everyone talks about. They were there but it would be hard to guess where they would show up next. I 3 of mine on a 5-inch zara spook. Then the rain came and kept on coming. We were fishing from kayaks and got absolutely soaked! After the schooling died down we were fishing the shore with the 2 inch senkos and didn't do that well... Only the little 8 inchers were hitting the senkos. My friend got a 2lber on the senko which was probably the biggest of the day. My guess is that the quality fish are still in post spawn mode and are inactive. Minus the major sinus infection I got from being in the wet/rain it was a fun day.

Wahiawa's Blessing

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:33 pm

I don't recognize the area in that last pic. Where is that at?

Cheesefish
bass level

Postby Cheesefish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:40 pm

I think its near the Kunia Rd Pt definitely before Boy Scout Island. The fish were busting there though!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:08 pm

I know that area you're talking about, I just don't recognize that structure in the background. Hmmmmm,......

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Forget it RW... the fish won't be there by the time you get there anyway.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “Fishing Reports”