The Longest Cast

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

The Longest Cast

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:42 am

The Longest Cast.

Just past BSA Island we spotted some scattered splashes that signaled schooling peacock bass. Grabbing rods, we sent lures flying out toward the feeding frenzy. James and Dusty both cast into, and beyond, the action and were almost instantly hooked into a frisky little Tuke.

My lighter lure fell short... time to change to something with a little more distance.
I just happened to have along my new assortment of M/W Lures. Mark is from Kauai and makes lures out of ceramic. He'd been sending me peacock bass photos with a yellow lure with big red eyes and trimmed in gold..... orange and green skirt with lots of flash-a-boo. I've used the M/W lures before and they cast like a rocket. Just what I needed for a long cast to reach those schooling peacock bass.

When Dusty noticed me running my fingers along the line he said "I see kinks in that line".
Sure enough, it was a little rough and off color. Chris had worked it hard and it was about time to be changed. But the fish were biting and I figured it would be O.K. for a few more fish.

My first cast sailed into the schooling fish and was rewarded with a 1 1/2 pound largemouth. Next cast and I got a 1 pound peacock bass. The M/W Lure was working as advertised... Lots of distance, good action, and colors the fish couldn't resist.

Suddenly the water erupted and we each sent out a cast in the direction of the action. I reared back, swung forward putting a mighty bend in the rod that sent that lure out like a rocket. The heavy ceramic sailed up, up, up, out, out, out, way past the schooling fish.

The only problem was, the line was not attached. Seems that in all the excitement I had neglected to open the bale of the spinning reel. The mighty force of my cast was just too much for the old line to handle.

"Wow" said Dusty, "That was the longest cast I've ever seen".
:lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:
Last edited by Stan Wright on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:57 pm

I've got the same lure. Mine must be broke! :lol: Glad to hear there was some schooling action. Might have to check it out this weekend!

Crash
King Sushi level

Re: The Longest Cast

Postby Crash » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:56 pm

Stan Wright wrote:The Longest Cast.

The only problem was, the line was not attached. Seems that in all the excitement I had neglected to open the bale of the spinning reel. The mighty force of my cast was just too much for the old line to handle.

:lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Rookie mistake, but we have ALL done it at some point Stan. No shame!! :)
Crash

Return to “General Discussion”