Switched it up a little bit on the lake

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

pogigod
bass level

Switched it up a little bit on the lake

Postby pogigod » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:05 am

We'll i finally manage to catch a fish in the lake. I switch things up to much smaller 1.5 inch lures. Tho it seems to me that that my methods are too much for LMB. Caught 4 small LMB, all within 6 inches. I did however hook up with a 2-3b Tuc, but didnt get a good hook and he spit it in a couple seconds.....

Still having no luck with top water lures, went fishing dusk and dawn the last 3 days and nothing, I've seen things swirl around my lure but they never actually hit it. Any advice for that, been trying small hollapoppers and cockroach colored jitterbugs....

Also what kind of needle fish or gars are in the lake? i saw 3-4 of them today, didnt know there was any in there

Stan were you out on the lake this morning?
0 different species.....

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:46 am

2" white Senkos rigged weedless are great (when the Tucs are hitting top water rigs) A fast steady retrieval in a must for the Tucs, unlike the LMB. Check out successful lures here: http://www.hawaiibassfishing.com/default.asp?nc=622&id=38 The 2" Senko is the third softbait down, on the left.

pogigod
bass level

Postby pogigod » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:02 pm

I've heard mixed reviews about fast and fast and erratic. Tho I have been reeling in a alot of different ways. they seem to hit faster but both steady and erratic(LMB)... the one peacock i did get to hit i was talking to my wife and really wasnt paying attention to how i was reeling it in..... but i'm using rapalas yellow pearch color. So far the first couple casts in an area is when i catch something, like litterally all the fish i caught were on the first or second cast in a spot.... I'll try the senkos rig, never tried that for topwater. about to buy the 80$ inflatable boat they have at sports authority just so i can get off the bank and try where the bigger fish are jumping the the morning
0 different species.....

wahiawabasshunter
bass level

Postby wahiawabasshunter » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:21 pm

I've tried EVERY idea someone had on this site this year and still no luck..This season is crazy
basshunter ;)

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:50 pm

Look for a cheap kayak I had a inflatable can't get very far the wind blows you around and the raft takes a lot of energy to paddle around. Did you try the floater and fly setup? A good spot by the ramp is on the opposite sideby the island and cast on the right side of the island over the saddle usually get bites when it passes over the saddle! Usually best at dawn or late evenings.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:46 pm

inflatable will make a diffrence, its great to get to diffrent areas, even if its just across the bank . and you really dont have to go far theres alot of good spots well within paddle of the ramp or you can launch pretty easy by kunia.seems downsizing has been the key lately for any luck dont give up our little lake is always hit and miss............ oh ya if its windy just tie up to the bank its all about mobility not the size of the boat!

pogigod
bass level

Postby pogigod » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:07 pm

yea thats all i wanted was to get away from the bank, I've only fished on the point by the island. You guys have probably seen me multiple times fishing on that point, almost always out there around 2-3pm....

which brings up a point, teaching my wife how to fish lures, and normally i cast for her but she's been tryin to learn, so that tree hanging out of the water by the point has a few lures stuck on it. If you guys dont mind leaving those there or maybe getting them back to me it would be much appreciated :).....

No i havn't tried that fly and floater yet, I orderd a fly rod instead. So I'll start fishing with that very soon :)
0 different species.....

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:28 pm

if i see you out ill make sure to get what i can down for you,flyrod from the banks gonna be tuff my man good luck, lotsa practice in a big field will make it less frustrating

pogigod
bass level

Postby pogigod » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:13 pm

O, I know how to fly fish lol, I just dont have my rod out here. They all at my parents house in New Jersey :(.. But if the water level goes down that point gets very far out and its wide open, but hope'ing that I'll have something to float on by the end of the week
0 different species.....

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:28 am

Best advice I can give you is get an inexpensive kayak set up. Thats how I got started and I caught tons of tucs with it. I still have it and use it occasionally. You can see lots of areas that nobody ever fishes from shore and it is a fun way to fish..... unless the wind picks up. Then it is work ! Set up that bubble rig. See the post where Stan shows how to rig it. You can get those white flys from walmart and they work. Nicer and better flys are from Nervous Water Fly Fishing shop in Kaimuki. Great guys in there, and they will show you all of Stans favorites. You will catch tucs on them, especially from a kayak. Get busy!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:12 am

My son-in-law fishes from a kayak. It is great for accessing areas near the grass. He caught tons of bluegills in it. We recently built a mount and put a 32# Minn Kota on it! 8) Its more of a financial investment than an inflatable though. Its good to know where to put in at the lake so you don't have to paddle a mile to get to the area you wanna fish at.

ssminnow
bass level

Postby ssminnow » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:31 pm

I always have fun fishing because I go after whatever is biting.
Right now it's the blue gill and red devil.
So yesterday afternoon, caught a bunch of blue gill and red devil.
On my way back to the ramp, cruising the tree line I spotted a
dozen Tucs just hanging around one area. They were not spawnning
or feeding. So I toss my red devil jig and caught one.
I caught about 10 1 to 3 lb Tucs there and left before the rain came.
So go after what's biting for fun and sometimes you get some pleasant
surprises.
No sense telling where I caught the Tucs because every day is different.
:D

Return to “Fishing Reports”