What equipment do you guys use?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Dave Hennessey
bass level

Postby Dave Hennessey » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:22 am

Yeah I know Stan, I gotta get out of here.

Every winter I ask myself why I live in a place where the climate is useless for 6 months straight. When the fishing comes, it's very good, but the window of time we get to have on the water isn't large.

I am honestly considering a move to the Keys. I would do Hawaii in a heartbeat - I loved it there - but I don't think I could be that far from the fam.

Anyway, should be less than two months till Long Island Sound wakes up a bit.

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:48 am

Hey Dave, there's no icefishing in your area? :P

We're frozen as well...but we still fish all year...and fishing can be good all year, but you'll be targetting different fish during their peak to keep the fishing great. :D

I have a fellow forum member living in Long Island now...and I got an invite from him to visit and fish Montauk in late September. As long as my finances is good after the trip to Hawaii/Cali in April, I'll be planning the visit when I get home from Cali :lol:

Wish I can visit you...but May/June will be a busy months of catching up at work :cry:

Moving to the Keys will be SOOOOO sweet! Do it, do it, do it! :lol:

Dave Hennessey
bass level

Postby Dave Hennessey » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:41 am

I can't do the ice fishing thing Ken. I just can't. I'm miserable anything much under 55-60 degrees.

Feel free to drop in here for some fishing whenever you can. I always like an excuse to wet the lines more. I'm in southwest Connecticut.

Montauk in late September is psychotic. Fishing here will be equally good then, though you'll have a better chance at bigger stripers at Montauk and you'll also get sick albie blitzes. I'm not sure when the best time for big tuna is out there. I'd guess it's really good in September, too. Montauk that time of year is a top 10 fishing spot, worldwide.

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:43 pm

Hey Dave, thanks for extending that invite. I remember you have invited me before...and I kept my eyes open for any conferences down your way...but none that suits my field so far. :(

Yeah, Montauk is absolutely nuts at that time of the year. I like the sound of albie blitzes...but my friend told me the timing of those blitzes can be unpredictable...and targeting them from shore depends on whether they come in or not. Targeting them from kayak (he's a kayaker) is a PITA since they move so fast. You pretty much have to pick an area and just hope that a school will pass by you while blitzing.

I'll continue to keep my eyes open :D

hef
bass level

Postby hef » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:44 pm

Casting

G Loomis GL3 6'6" 783C MH
Reel: Daiwa Zillion 7:1
Line: Seaguar InvizX-12lb

Daiwa TD-S701MRB 7"
Reel: Daiwa Zillion 7:1
Line: Seaguar InvizX-17lb

G Loomis GL3 6'6" 7839 MH
Reel: Quantum AC500PT
Line: Stren Super Braid-30lb

Daiwa L&T Frog Rod
Reel: Diawa Zillion 7:1
Line: Stren Super Braid-50lb

Okuma Crankbait Rod 6'6" M
Line: Stren 12lb mono

Quantum HSX44 6'6" M
Line: Seaguar InvizX-12lb

Spinning

Rod: G Loomis 6'6" SJR782
Reel: Quantum Energy PT20
Line: Seaguar InvizX-10lb

Rod: G Loomis 7' SJR842
Reel: Quantum Energy-PT20

Rod: Quantum 6'6" MH
Reel: BPS Pro Qualifier
[url]if[/img]

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:57 am

Hi,
How do you like the Stren super braid as compared to say, Power Pro, or Sufix?
Also, I hear good things about the Seaguar InvisX fluorocarbon. The only negative I hear is that it is very stretchy. True?
Thanks for contributing to the discussion.
Last edited by skunked on Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:46 am

Well, monofiliment line has stretch to it.
Braid has no stretch at all....
and floracarbon has a "little bit" of stretch.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:57 am

Ordered a 2nd Shimano Chronarch 51MG (discontinued) and a Shimano Metanium MG7 (Japan model of CORE) recently. Can't wait to get 'em. If any of you want to step up to a light baitcaster to replace your medium spinning rod, jump on a Chronarch 50/51MG before they become too scarce. This is just an awesome reel and I have no idea why Shimano decided to stop production without offering a replacement. Well, they do have the Aldebaron, but that's a JDM reel. You will find yourself enjoying the act of casting and retrieving, regardless of catching. Of course it's better to be catching, but you know what I mean. Throw some 8 lb. fluoro or 20 lb. braid on it and you're good to go.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:30 am

Boatless wrote:whooo hoooooo so you finally got one of these!!! If you ever use it, let me know.

I used the red Zillion for the first time a few weeks ago. I upgraded the spool bearings to ABEC5 ceramic hybrids, but I may have damaged the spool pin in the process. That's why I prefer Shimano...no need to remove the spool pin. Anyway, the reel casts great and is very smooth. The drag is smooth as well. The 7.3:1 ratio is good, but doesn't feel much faster than my other reels. A typical spinning reel has a greater IPT than the zillion anyway.
I also bought a Metanium MG7 and a Chronarch 101D. These reels are awesome! The MG is lighter, but the Chronarch is smoother due to the brass gearing vs. the aluminum gearing. If I had to choose one, I'd pick the MG though.
Also got a Pflueger Patriarch. This reel is beautiful. I have yet to fish it, but I can tell that it's a keeper!
This is my ever-growing baitcaster collection. I am working on my spinning reel collection too, but I have very little enthusiasm for them. Maybe that will change someday.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:02 pm

Skunked,

I'm not worthy! :shock:

Awesome collection of tools for the our most honored pleasures. At least that's what I would tell my wife. I thought my collection was insane, after seeing your toys, mine are only practical :wink:

I'll get my collection up in a few days. At least you fish with yours, most of mine sit's in reel bags :cry:

By the way skunked, I'll be back on the island (30 June -17 July) we should hook up and talk tackle(while fishing of course) :twisted:

Stan,

I expect nothing less for your collection!!! :roll:

Bass regards, Mel - Kahuna bass
Not worthy of status - Skunked is "da man"
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:54 pm

good lord!! my 7 reels seem measly now hahaha.no wonder you dont have a boat!! youd have a 40,000 rig if you stopped your reel addiction hahahaha

fisher dude
King Sushi level

skunked

Postby fisher dude » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:00 pm

All those reels and no boat? you could probly sell half and get a decent boat for the river. Thats a lot of reels cant imagine how much lures u got. lol!

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:47 pm

It's funny, but I'm in the same situation as Skunked(lots of tackle and no boat). Just looking at his bass reels, it's well over $6,000.00 to replace.

My wife asked me a couple years ago, "just how much do you have in Fishing gear".

Believe or not, here's a quick breakdown:
Fishing rods/blanks - over $10,000.00
Reels - over $10,000.00
Terminal tackle - over $10,000.00

That's just a conservative guess.

When I had my bass boat, I had enough bass gear to furnish 3 bass boats.
When I go long range fishing, I'd bring over 20 out fits for self & other's to use. 15 of those outfits were two-speed reels.

It's insane, but heck, it's my hobby and I love it. :twisted:

I'll try to post some pictures of my insane hobby.

Bass regards, Mel - Kahuna Bass
Darkside tackle ho - without a boat, again :evil:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:20 pm

Added another one to my collection. It is a Shimano Conquest 51. I've always wanted one but rumours of it being discontinued and that evil ebay/paypal and their 8% discount coupon finally pushed me over the edge! It is my first round baitcaster, but it still palms nicely due to its small size. I'll probably try it out tomorrow and get a huge backlash on my first cast. In skunked's world this is common.

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:55 pm

That is a lot of bling there! Must be super light with all the ported holes :D

Return to “General Discussion”