main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

How to Take Fish Pictures

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:03 am

How to Take Fish Pictures
:D
How to Photograph a Fish... or.... (what ever is closest to the camera will look the biggest.) :?

I like fun pictures. Try a shot with the person (angler) not looking into the camera. Sometimes the best pictures don't even have a person in the picture. Try showing the rod and reel in the picture too.
Also try using the flash during the day. The flash will soften those harsh shadows caused by the sun. Try to have the sun at your back. To make the fish look larger... hold it closer to the camera.

We can see the fish isn't really that big... look at the size of the anglers hand. It's larger than his head. Anyone can tell the fish was being held out at arms length to make it look big.

The trick is to hide the hand behind the fish so you have no visual reference to compare to the fish. If you want to show the actual size of something, put a ruler or some known item in the picture that one can identify. A visual reference. Everyone knows the size of a dime so we can figure out the size of the fish tags.

So, hold the fish close to the camera, and don't have anything to give you a visual reference to size.

To make it even larger... use a wide angle lens and get really close to the fish. :twisted:

The most important thing is to just take lots of pictures so you can share all those happy memories of your fishing adventures. :D :D :D
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:01 am

I like the bottom one best- Nice 30 pound Red Devil :lol:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:16 am

One word...Photoshop :roll: :twisted:

Yeah, Stan made my 1lb peacock bass look like a 2lber...so it doubled in size.

On that note...ALWAYS make sure you stand in front of your gf, fiancee, wife, potential love interest...so when they look at the picture, they'll say...

"Man, you're huge!"

or...

"You take nice pictures. I don't look fat."

:lol:

OahuDave
bass level

Postby OahuDave » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:23 pm

The bottom pic is awesome. Hah. I hadnt even thought about that. I gotta figure out how to take those pics when I am out in the kayak. Hmm... Camera on a pole? :)
Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao; pa`a ka waha.

Return to “General Discussion”