High Water

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

tucmaster
master baiter level

High Water

Postby tucmaster » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:23 pm

After a week of rain, the water level in Lake Wilson is finally back up into the California grass. Submerged grass + slightly murky water = ideal conditions for shoreline tuc action. Today, the tuc barrage was in full swing around the usual late morning feeding time.

I have a Berkeley "boca grip" with a built-in digital scale that weighs in lb./oz. This grip is really great for landing tucs and saves me from a lot of shredded skin on my thumb. In about 3 hrs., I was lucky enough to weigh and release one decent-sized tuc over 5 lbs., three over 4 lbs., and seven over 3 lbs. Released 13 more tucs that I didn't bother to weigh because they looked to be under 3 lbs. Good fun on 6 lb. test.

On a different subject, has anyone out there ever personally seen or caught a Lake Wilson tuc 10 lbs. or larger? I remember hearing a story a while back about a 14 lb. tuc that was weighed and released (no photo?). I wonder who caught and released that bad boy.

Tight lines and good luck.

deff808
bait level

Postby deff808 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:24 am

Wow Good Catch! I wish i caught even 10tucs a day. Well summer time we did, in different areas. Sometimes 0-10 a Day.

Im from Kauai. The resavoir i go to alot. It raise alot, from the normal. Not to much places to go to, walking distance, fishing from the shoreline.

Probably check it out tommorrow morning, hopefully it wont be cloudy. I hope its sunny! Tucs should be hungry, from this past week of rain and cold temperatures.

I thought the Biggest peacock was 9lb 12oz *not sure*.

14lbs, WOW!
Kauai

tucmaster
master baiter level

Postby tucmaster » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:42 pm

Yep, I'm a shoreline guy too, and agree that there's not many places for guys like us to easily and safely access the shoreline. A long time ago, accessing the shoreline through the pineapple fields or through the City baseyard at the end of California Avenue wasn't a problem - not anymore.

What I did was locate several different kinds of spots (open points, fallen trees, weedy shorelines) where tucs regularly hold/cruise during different water level conditions, then concentrate on the two best producing spots - one for low water and one for high water. Having good producing spots for low and high water ensures at least some tuc action all year round. It also helps to have a steady supply of good live bait.

Keep at it - good luck and good fishing.

deff808
bait level

Postby deff808 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:23 am

I only use live bait. To me its way to go! Tucs could careless what lure i throw at um. Well depends, on certain resavoirs/ponds. I mostly catch small Tucs on Roostertails and Lipless Crank. For the big boys, live bait for sure.

I went yesterday, water level, went several inches higher. Making it very diffcult. Seen few Tucs swimming around 1lbs-2lb Range. That is good sign, from the past weeks. Threw a live bait, they just looked at it, follow it and just didn't even care to take it. Ahhhh!! Spent two hours, trying to catch a single fish.

See how it goes next time!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the Tips!! I usually fish, where there is bait swimming around. So i think there is some tucs further out, waiting to attack... :wink:
Kauai

Return to “General Discussion”