Take me back...

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

gabe
bait level

Take me back...

Postby gabe » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:19 pm

back to da kine...
I finally moving back home to mililani sometime late this year. Been up here in CA for the last 10 years. While up here, I picked up fly fishing and been at it for da past 7yrs. Anyways, is there any fly fishing clubs back home? All I hear up here in da mainland is about Lars and Nervous waters, bla bla bla...
I was wondering how many of you back home are fly fisherman fresh and saltwater kine. can't wait to come back home and hook up on one o'io or papio on da fly, as well as one Tuke. Anyways, just like get one idea of what the fly fishing community is like back home, cause everytime I come home and fish, i never see anybody fly fishing, only whipping.

mahalos,

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:05 pm

For about the past year or so my new obsession has been catching o'io on a fly rod. I know there are quite a few people that do it but a lot seem a bit secretive in there methods. The tucs are a blast on fly rods as well, and I think when they're busting it's the best way to get em. I think this because when you're spin or baitcasting to them and a better looking boil pops up you have have to reel all the line in a usually by then it's over. With the fly rod you just strip a little bit then make your cast....SO MUCH FASTER. I'm military but I see a few fly fisherman at the flats on Hickam. My buddy was in a fly fishing club here but I don't know what it was called. I don't believe they're affiliated in any way with nervous waters. I'll try to find out and let you know.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:55 am

There is a Trout Unlimited club here.... some of the guys fish bonefish, but I don't see them on the lake.

There are a few more fly fisherman every year.
:lol:
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:42 am

Greetings Gabe,

Good to hear your heading back home. Nothing like the warm waters and cool trade winds. Like you, I've been gone too long away from Hawaii.

Stan has been telling me fish stories about the great fly fishing for bone fish and Tucs :D . Hoping to be back on the islands this summer, and hopefully, this time I'll try the fly rod.

Bass regards, Mel "Kahuna Bass"
Dark side live baiter :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

gabe
bait level

Postby gabe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:48 pm

thanks guys for the replies.
yea cannot wait to get back home, but same time I going miss fly fishing the rivers I've fell in love with while up here in cali. bass, I was there at Hickam this past May looking for them bones. Little did we know we were on the wrong side of the flats. Next time, I'm going to have to ask my little brother to take me back there and show me exactly the spot they say the see em all over the place.
Kahuna, are you by any chance on the SCSF board(scsurffishing.com)? Lot of SD surf fisherman on there. infact think we have a fish-off in the near future there. will be a bunch of conventional/spin gear and fly fisherman attending. I duno if I going make that one though. Got plenty people from hawaii to on that board that are in SD. Anyways, much mahalos for the replies. I just hoping to meet more people in the sport, so I don't miss the rivers too much.

thanks,

gabe

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:18 pm

I usually fish the right side of the flats closer to the water treatment plant right next to the "second pier" the one thats all busted up and you're not "allowed" to be on. Mostly we blind cast in the deeper water, seems to be more effective.

Return to “General Discussion”