Good Friday Fishing

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Good Friday Fishing

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:34 pm

Fishing on Good Friday was, ummmm, well,.......GOOD!

I took a good friend and his son out for an all day trip. The rains kept us under the bridge for about 4 hours so we tried for some catfish while we were waiting out the rain (which never ended). We hit a shallow cover near Boy Scout Island and caught this! Stan told me what is was but I forget the name. Anyone seen this one. Two different people called it two different names. Looks like an overgrown sucker fish! Stan described it very accurately as a catfish with armor! Which it is.

00BLACKSS
minnow level

Postby 00BLACKSS » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:20 am

thanks for the trip Tommy, had a blast regardless of the weather. I really think that thing is a cleaner fish.
btw, Tylor wont stop talking about "THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY!"

i still think it was a big ol carp or catfish

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:50 am

As a family (Loricariidae), they are collectively the armored catfish. This species (Hypostomus plecostomus) is officially known as the suckermouth catfish, but commonly known by aquarists as the common plecos...or kids like to say "That's a sucker fish!". :lol:

That's quite a big one. I used to keep one in my tank and it was maybe 2" max. :lol:

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:19 pm

That is one UGLY catfish!!!!!!!!! I read that the roe from this fish is considered high grade caviar. I do not know how you would get it out of that fish.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:34 pm

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN wrote:That is one UGLY catfish!!!!!!!!! I do not know how you would get it out of that fish.

Sawzall!!! :lol:
Last edited by roadwarriorsvt on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:55 am

Like Ken said, that's a plecostomus. You can frequently see them surfacing if you are paying attention. I'm not sure why they come up, 'cause I think they have gills like regular fish.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:44 am

If I remember right, the deep water in Wahiawa has very low oxygen concentration. These fish are benthic fish. They may need to come up to breath once in a while if they live on the lake bottom in 15-20 feet of water :lol:

Return to “Fishing Reports”