Rising water, small fish

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Rising water, small fish

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:37 am

Water level is up about 5 feet in the last few days. It's at about the 78 foot level. The peacock bass were not schooling on the south fork Monday morning. The few we caught were along the shore and well under 1 pound. :lol:

Those little guys loved our small streamer flys when we could find them. Most of our action was around recently fallen trees... the ones with the leaves still on.

Water temperature was 69 degrees, visibility 2 to 3 feet and it was cold and raining most of the morning... How can you have blue sky and shunshine... and it still be raining?
We had a great time. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:25 pm

Aloha Stan,

It must be tough to have blue skies, sunshine and still have to fight off the rain :lol:

At least your catching tucs!

By the way, do tucs react just like large mouth bass in the states, when the weather changes, just before a storm, they go on the bite?

I would still fish the big baits, but tighter to cover and maybe a little deeper. Big fish still needs to eat, but not as aggressive.

Currently in Japan, spending more money on fishing tackle. :twisted:

Hope to see you out your way, in a couple of months.

Bass regards, Mel "Kahuna bass"
Dark side live baiter :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:22 pm

Hey kahuna

Where abouts are you in Japan? Can you recommend any fishing shops in Tokyo or Osaka? I 'll be heading over there in a couple of months.

Thanks

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:40 am

Greetings Boatless,

I'm currently in Narita, Japan, just outside of Tokyo. Not to many fishing stores out this way, but much more in Tokyo. Getting ready to head to Pusan, Korea. :shock: It's going to be cold!!

Email me closer to your trip and I'll put a list of fishing shops that you should visit. You'll enjoy the shopping at both Osaka and Tokyo. I bet you'll go crazy over some of the second hand tackle stores (great deals). It not un-common to go into a second hand tackle store(tackle berry) and be able to buy rods/reels/lures(brand new and used) for 40%-70% off retail cost.

Also, you'll be able to buy Shimano specialty reels, which usally cost a bit more, if your lucky enough to find them in the states.

Brings lots of cash and plastics! :wink:

Bass regards, Mel "Kahuna bass"
Dark side live baiter :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:31 am

Please get me a couple of STEEZ reels!! Oh, and a new Metanium MG7 DC when it comes out. Thanks.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:41 am

howzit Kahuna

much mahalos!!!! I'll drop you a msg before I go. Yes its a business trip but I at least have to make an attempt to "look" for some stuff!!! :lol:
I'm thinking about trying some lake fishing also, been reading about the fuji-no-ko 5 lakes. You ever been there??

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Weather

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:17 am

To answer Kahuna bass's question if weather changes affect the tucuare, from my experience, not really. We don't have intense storm fronts here, so it does not seem affect the fishing that much. The weather does affect the fishing but not in the way Kahuna bass was thinking in my opinion.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:11 pm

I think the main factor is water clarity, light rain and clounds for the most part seems to make the tucs school throughout the day and fishing is a little better. But if it pours for a few days I seem to have a pretty hard time catching. To me it also seems like rapid water level changes seem to throw the fish off a bit but I'm not certain if they move much because of this. I really haven't found much structure to fish that isn't right up against the shore line so maybe because they really don't have much "offshore" structure to run to is why I haven't noticed weather making the fish move much, maybe it's because the weather is pretty consistent and they fish have no need to relocate for the short periods fronts do come in. I dunno just my thoughts.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:36 am

I aggree with the change in water level idea... it takes a few days for the peacock bass to get back into their normal feeding habits.

The only other thing is water temperature. It takes a few days for the fish to get use to that "cold" 68 degree temp.

:wink:
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “Fishing Reports”