Peacock Bass are Spawning

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Peacock Bass are Spawning

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:30 pm

:D
Recent rain raised the water level so the spawning fish are deep and mostly out of sight. But I still saw enough to know the spawn is in full swing. Everyone I spoke with on the lake is seeing them… they are just having trouble hooking them. LOL. Water temperature was 82 degrees.

I was using a Tenkara Rod with 4# test and a very small fly, so I kind of steered clear of the spawners. Still I had some mean blowups on my little fly… but I was skilled enough to get the fly away from the larger fish. :roll:

I did catch enough of these to equal 2 or 3 nice size fish. :D

Peacock bass were not the only thing spawning. This big red devil was very aggressive. And that bright red/orange color made them easy to spot.

I have no idea what this fish is… with all the people tossing their unwanted aquariums into Hawaii lakes and streams… we do catch a lot of exotics.
Anyone want to venture a guess?

Even a few bluegills today.

And I caught everything on the little gold "50 Cent Fly" with the pink eyes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Aloha,
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:31 pm

pretty sure the third one down is a Tilapia.

gonna hit the hickam flats tomorrow in search of some bonefish, haven't broke the fly rods out since I PCSd to Georgia in early 2011!

Wish me luck, not sure if i remember how to cast! Also have no clue where my striping basket is :(
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Return to “Fishing Reports”