Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Charles N
angler level

Postby Charles N » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:39 pm

New to this forum. Trying to find some largemouths and cats does anyone have some insight on where to go. I have a kayak so hopefully that helps.
Bass fishing is made for real bass fisher men

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:22 am

The last time I took my grand daughter Haley to the lake… we used some live gold fish (feeder fish) and caught catfish, red devils, bluegill, largemouth and peacock bass. We were using light spinning tackle with 4# test line… no leader… a #10 AH hook and one BB size split shot to give it some weight.

Just let the line out 20 or 30 feet behind the boat and slowly move along the lake. I like to circle around Keemo Island down by the dam. Another way is to work the points. You can keep moving, or just stop and cast from shallow to deep. Move your live bait very slowly, like your fishing for bass with a plastic worm.

Bring plenty of BB split shot and hooks, because you will get hung up from time to time. :lol: You should "hang into" some nice fish too.

We also kept a spinning rod handy rigged with a lure (small gold CastMaster) or a "Bubble - Rig". Never know when the fish might start schooling and chasing shad. Sometime it's just fun to move slowly along the shore and cast close to the grass and to the shallow points where the tiny bait fish hand out.

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:29 am

:D
To save myself a long paddle… I use to launch my kayak from the Boy Scout Island area across from Schofield / Kunia Road. Driving NORTH, you pass Kunia Road. To the right there is a Bus Stop and rock wall on the lake side. Pull over and park on the grass just past the rock wall. Area ( K ) on the map. You'll see the blue signs telling you about the lake…. It's also a good place to fish from shore… right now the water level might be too high, making it difficult to get fish from shore because of the grass.

If you do launch from there, it's good fishing all the way down to the dam.

Come to think of it, since the water is high right now, I might try leaving the Wahiawa State Freshwater Fishing Park ( boat ramp ) and headed to the left and up stream.

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Charles N
angler level

Thanks

Postby Charles N » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Stan thank you will buy some gold fish and rig my pole with 6 pound test.
Do u know where the cat fish are or blue gills
Bass fishing is made for real bass fisher men

Return to “Fishing Reports”