HFFA TOC Tournamnet

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

shanai
King Sushi level

HFFA TOC Tournamnet

Postby shanai » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:51 am

The 2-day HFFA tournament ( 1/12-13 ) was held this weekend. The top ten points leaders for the year took part in the two day tournament in pursuit of the TOC title ( Tournament of Champions ) to the angler with the heaviest total weight for the two days of fishing.

Saturday was mostly overcast with the water level at about 76 ft and water temperatures starting out around 68 degrees. Sunday was also cool in the morning but changed to more bluebird skies in the afternoon. On Saturday, there were some sporadic busts near BSI, on Sunday, hardly anything.

The bass bite seemed to be shallow and along the banks. Many anglers noted that the morning bite was better than the afternoon. This pattern seemed to hold up for both days. On our boat, the bass bite was on plastics, creatures and jigs. Other anglers noted bites using worms or crankbaits.
A few members were really on the bite as they reported catching close to double digit numbers of bass and having to cull fish during the day. (sigh, I was not one of them )

48 fish were weighed during the two day tournament, 23 fish on Saturday that included several Tucs and 25 fish on Sunday including 4 Tucs. The bass weights were between 1-2 pounds while the Tucs went a little bigger in the 2-3 pound range.

Up next, the January HFFA tournament on Sunday 1/20/13.

:D

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:29 pm

I was happy that I made it into the TOC but it was my worse tournement ever! Aside from getting SKUNKED on Sat., I encountered several problems. There was plenty of grass in the water but I got "0" bites on topwater. Then when I tried to get on plane, I couldn't. I accidentally over filled the livewell and flooded the bilge area. It was then I discovered my bilge pump doesn't work! Sun. morning I went to unplug my trolling motor and discovered that I forgot to plug it in Sat.! :roll: So I sacrificed a few hours to get some charge in the battery. It finally went dead 45 minutes prior to the end of the tournement. Seems in my hast, I forgot to take my lunch with me on Sun. to! Did I do anything right? Well, I didn't sink my boat! :lol: At least I got a small limit on Sun. Those other anglers didn't beat me, I beat myself! :evil:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:37 pm

I don't think that Startos sinks! filled with floatation foam!!!! Swaps tho!!! That engine is nice too!!!!! Guessing a two day total around 12-14lbs ish??? with that tough "Dead Sea" of Saturday not bad!!!... Really want to extend a formal invite for HFFA members to join Marcus, Brent and I, and HawaiiBasmasters fishing Largemouth/Smallmouth tourneys... This really helps them prepare to fish in the Collegiate Bass Tours next year. You guys can come and lay back and just fish,, and let me do all the Work for a Change!!! Paper work, Weighing, organizing,etc... Just a change something different...

shanai
King Sushi level

Postby shanai » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:50 pm

Hey Tommy,

Hmm, sound like you had a day worthy of a broken minnow nomination for 2013

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:17 pm

shanai wrote:Hey Tommy,

Hmm, sound like you had a day worthy of a broken minnow nomination for 2013

Hopefully you'll all forget about it by then! :lol:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:06 am

That first day killed me! The few bites I did have (3) I wasn't able to figure out the pattern on day 1. Day 2 was totally different! Wood on steep banks was the ticket that day. zCaught 9, lost 3, and figured out a solid Tuc pattern around 1. The coves had this thin layer of grass and sticks floating on top at the very back or in corners. I would throw my weedless swim bait in that trash, slowly moving the water and clear that trash away. Those tucs would just blow up on my bait! Missed one taker and had several swipes. All around, I had a good time and am ready for this Sunday! I need redemption!!
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught" -Unknown Author

Return to “Fishing Reports”