Catch a fish for Science

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Catch a fish for Science

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:00 am

On Sunday, a large group of us gathered to help the Health Department do some "Sampling" of peacock bass and red devils. The testing is to see if the fish are safe for human consumption. Or if they are found to have contaminants... what and how much.

Armed with earth worms and live bait we all set off to different parts of the lake to take our "samples".

At the end of a very long day of "sampling" we had the required number of red devil... and not one single peacock bass.

Saw lots of peacock bass, but they were not interested in biting anything.... all day.

Testing will resume later in the year when the peacock bass are showing more interest in science. LOL

Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:20 pm

Hey Stan, do you know of a place that sells nightcrawlers for fishing out here? I want to focus on catching some devils and I think worms will work well, but I can't for the life of me find worms.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:47 am

Worms were the best bait for us by far. I don't know of anyone who sells them but they are all over the place at the Wahiawa Freshwater park.

Get a hoe or rake and start scraping around in the leaves and natural mulch under the trees by the parking lot. You have to be quick, because those worms are super fast. They scoot away before you can grab them.

In 10 minutes of scratching around you should have more than enough worms for a day of fishing. The kids should get a kick out of it too.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “Fishing Reports”