Report 12-24-12

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Report 12-24-12

Postby Filthyfisherman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Merry Christmas everyone!!! We here at Filthyfishermen Bait Co want to wish everyone a happy holidays! Santa was good to me today!!!! 4.3lbs LM Bass!!!!

Launched 1-4:30pm Sunny, Brezzy wind 3mph (), BP 29.95 RnF, Level 6 pegs under Catch,Release tag, WT 72-74! Stained 1ft clearing up tho, After a bad day yesterday, I headed out today it figure out where they went.. As the Water raised up and plained out,, I am guessing about 4-5ft below C&R tag, Fishing was tough,, I had to bring out the drop shot and really take apart steep deep ledges to find um.... Now it seems they are posted back up on tress again as the water receeds!! Its dropping pretty fast! Boy Scout Island is the money spot! Behind it and on! I was power fishing today!!! White 1/2oz Terminator Spinnerbait in wood,, and flipping the FilthyFishermen Tuc Toad with a 3/8oz bullet 3/0 EWG Hook (XPS)..... Really pushed the Tracker Hard today,,, Running the troller on 5 up to trees and around,,, Pulling troller running other spots,, starting stoping engine,, Its holding up very well!! ,, Headed way up to the elbow just past N Bridge,, Nice LM on spinner,, Tuc Chased 2" Senko, couple up there.... Ended up with 6 LM Bass,,,, With a 4 Bass Limit HBM I woulda weighed in a 11lbs bag!!!! That would put me in 2Nd place (1st Day) in the FLW College SouthEastern Tourney I saw yesterday on Lake Wylie SC!!!! And they were weighing in 5 fish!!!!!!!! We really have a World Class Bass Fishery here!!!!!

I am Really hoping Everyone Joins me January 27th as we start Largemouth Bass Tourneys!!!!! Its a little different than Peacock Bass Fishing!!! And From What I have Learned,,,,, Kauai Is far ahead of us and already very serious Bass Anglers!! Mostly just fishing LM!!! We are hoping to Fish against Kauai in September to Form a State Team to fish in the 2014 TBF (FLW) SW Federation Chamipionship!!!! Hopefully on Clear Lake CA!!!! So were we are at,, lookin 8-10 boats so far?,,, 4 Bass Culling,,, Last Sunday Months Club Meeting before tourney 30min 7:30am 8am-3pm tourney,,,, Co Anglers Welcome,,,,, But Are Responsable for providing their own Livewell (Cooler least 70 quart) I have 4 livewell areoater's for people to use,, or $40 west marine. And I will hand out (Release Me) Baggies to put in everyones livewell!!!!

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!!!!

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:06 pm

nice toad! saturday was tough, when we last saw you were were still trying to figure things out. lots of bait all suspended. serious thermocline at 6-9ft on the graph. we went down and drop shotted and shakey headed all the steep and deep stuff but to no avail. i managed to get 2 on a football jig just dragging it along the bottom. but both got off at the boat. finally started listening to the fish and graph and started working spinnerbaits and crankbaits in the 9ft range and really knocked em in the afternoon. ended up with 10 bass and lost 4. partner got 6 bass and 1 tuc and lost 2. couldnt have compared with that 11lb sack. best 4 might have gone 6+lbs. wasted alot of time trying things before i followed my instincts and paid attention to the graph.

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:38 am

Thanks Steve!!!! The beauty of these tourney's,, is there's is no way I could put that sack together like that every month!! Honestly,,, each month would be a toss up!! And we need to push each other and learn,,,,, cause Garden Island Bassmaster's Kauai's team,,,, worry's me a bit!!!! Watching NBC Sports Boats US Collegiate Bass Fishing Championship!!! Guess there is TWO Major Tours for College Students NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! We really need to get Hawaii Bassmaster's going!!!!!! Kids Here in Hawaii are being left out and behind of what's going on in the Mainland!!!! A Federation Club is VERY important for Lake Wilson and fishing here in Hawaii!!!!!! Not sure if anyone watches NBC Sports channel,,,,,,,, It's All BASS FISHNG!!!!!!! Join Hawaii Bassmasters!!!!!

You guys put together a better day and plan than I did that Day!!! Took me another day until I pulled a Crank/SPinnerbait and jig and powered it up a bit!!!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:16 am

Filthyfisherman,

Nice fish!

You are definitely right about having a world class fishery. No, wilson probably will not produce the big behemoths like in Ca, Tx and Fl and there arent a ton of 5lbers swimming round either but.......the average size of the fish caught is definitely higher than a lot of mainland lakes ive fished. For exapmple, clarks hill (or strom thrumond) where i do most of my fishing does have the potential to produce the ocassional 20 to 26lb 5 fish sack but those are few and far between and seasonally based. More realistically 5 average fish will usually run you about 6 to 9lbs. Generally it will take 12 to 14lbs on a lot of the lakes in the southest such as murray, russell, hartwell, lanier, sinclair to cut a check, yet people genereally assume that these lakes are just full of big bass and anglers are catching them left and right.

When i fished the southern open # 3 at lewis smith lake in alabama the pros were happy to average 10 to 11lbs a day because if they did, they were making the cut and fishing on day 3.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:20 am

Someone told me the average fish in most mainland tournament is a little under 2 pounds. I understand our average fish is a little over 2 pounds.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:16 pm

Stan,

That sounds about right, but a lot of it will depend obviously on the lake and also the level of the tournament.

Something to note is the Elite series guys and the FLW pros get A LOT of practice time in. Even for the opens most of the pros were there for at least 1 week prior to the event pre fishing. I say this because....they get more time on the water which usually leads to finding better quality fish. Man what i would give to have a week or two to pre fish for tournaments! ONE DAY!
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Return to “Fishing Reports”