What Fish Is This ?

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

What Fish Is This ?

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:18 pm

:?:
What kind of fish is this,
Caught it in really shallow water.
It's about 4 inches long.

I know what this is... a Largemouth bass that Shane caught.
This one fish weighed more than the total number of peacock bass that I caught.

This is the size peacock bass I was catching...

Was able to get a nice bluegill.

One of the "boats" used by the "Urban Outdoorsmen" (homeless guys)
to commute across the lake to town. I don't feel sorry for these
guys because they choose to "camp out"... and refuse to move
into available housing. "Don't like the rules."

The water temperature was 76 degrees and air temperature
was 72 with a 20 to 25 knot wind. I don't think those tropical
peacock bass like this cold weather. Also, the water level
dropped another foot since Monday. Tough fishing today...
but because I was using a tenkara rod, I had a lot more action
than the other guys.
DLNR is still draining water... a fish kill from lack of oxygen is becoming a real possibility.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Re: What Fish Is This ?

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Stan Wright wrote::?:
What kind of fish is this,
Caught it in really shallow water.
It's about 4 inches long.

Looks like a Tilapia to me though what species exactly not sure.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Maybe a (Flier) part of the sunfish family...
Went out after Stan,,,, Only managed two LM... On a white spinnerbait running deep along bluffs...

TheAlohaBoy
bass level

Postby TheAlohaBoy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:05 am

I caught one too
[/img]

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:02 am

For Stan's mystery fish:

Of all the Cichlidae reported on USGS's Nonindigenous Aquatic Species List for the State of Hawaii, I would say the closest matches are Redbreast Tilapia (Tilapia rendalli) or Redbelly Tilapia (Tilapia zillii). You can make out that ocellated black spot on the soft ray portion of the dorsal fin, and the red margin on the dorsal fin is very common of those two species (also in Mozambique Tilapia, but Mozambique does not have the ocellated black spot). Of the pictures I saw of Redbreast Tilapia, they then to have a pointier head, where as the Redbelly Tilapia has more of a rounded blunt head. I would say the fish more closely resembles Tilapia zillii.

Definitely not a Flier Sunfish. The Flier has a black vertical stripe over the eye, far fewer spiny dorsal ray, a longer anal fin with far more anal rays where the anal fin starts very close to the edge of the pelvic fin, and a taller, shorter body, making both the dorsal and anal fins look short and tall compared to the body. When you see a Flier, you immediately have the impression of a fish with mixed crappie and sunfish features. Stan's fish looks nothing like a sunfish or crappie. Here's a picture of a Flier Sunfish.

For AlohaBoy's mystery fish:

Maybe that's dirt on the side of the body...but my first impression is that the black markings on the side of the body are not dirt. So my first thought is a Blackchin Tilapia (Sarotherodon melanotheron). The reflection (and wash out) on the chin area can't positively show the black smudge on the bottom side of the chin, but just overall shape, size, lack of red margin on the fins, those small black markings on the side of the body and faint yellow horizontal stripes on the lower side of the body screams Blackchin to me. They are quite common in Hawaii. I've caught a few so I'm pretty sure on this call.

Here's one I've caught.

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:25 am

Not the same discription and picture of the Flier that I got,,,,,, But I am Possitive your books are more accurate than mine!! lol! But quite the information! Ken,,, is there any angle we should be looking at to get the DLNR (Hawaii) to take better care of Lake Wilson? It's real LOW!!!! Does a Fish Kill here have the same impact as the mainland such as major fines by DEP.? Any Federal fish protection acts? Lake Wilson will be Wilson Creek soon!

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:47 am

I don't know too much about management of Lake Wilson and who owns the lake. But based on what has been posted here, the lake has not reached low enough below its required maintained level (I think the reply to Stan's email was 60-65 feet) as of the last post that Stan put up...maybe things changed by now.

Certainly, there could be several angles here...such as if a fish kill would happen, bacteria levels in the lake would rise affecting water quality, the stench of dead fish would affect the town of Wahiawa, the lack of smaller baitfish to control mosquito larvae could cause an infestation, the combination of fish kill and the massive influx of available nutrients into the system from rotting fish could cause an algal bloom that would also smell bad and decrease water quality...

I'm not too sure on what is required by DEP in order for the state, county, city or private owners to minimize the risk of fish kill unless it gets to the point of unsanitary and a potential health risk. If the owner of the lake is concerned with the coming winter water level, and keeping the lake low to provide enough storage for water to prevent flooding in the winter, then I would say unless the current lake level has passed the legally required minimum (60 feet), there is little that can be done. Protecting lives and property downstream of the lake always take priority over fish unless the fish kill create an unsanitary situation. And unfortunately, until such scenario occurs, the State or DEP will likely not pay much attention...

I may have suggested this in the past...perhaps this could be a good time to think about it with the low water level...it may be wise to perhaps install some windmills on Lake Wilson to help with oxygenating the water, as well as mixing of cooler water from the lake bottom with the warmer water at the surface, to provide a better habitat for all fish. I kept reading (maybe they are all hearsay and not necessarily true) that the deeper areas of the lake below a certain depth is rather hypoxic since there is little mixing of water. At these time of low water, a few of these windmills can help to provide habitable zones for fish. These are windmills are quite common in mainland US, especially for smaller ponds and lakes in the southern US where summer temperature can get quite high.

Unless there are any endangered native fish species in Lake Wilson that needs protection, I don't think you'll get a lot of help from Federal fish protection acts. Most of the fish in Lake Wilson were intentionally or illegally stocked into the lake...it really is just a melting pot of species that are not native to Hawaii...so there really is little weight to ask for protection of fish that does not belong in the first place.

Look at the bright side though...if a massive fish kill does happen, it's a good opportunity to reduce or eliminate the hated red devil, banded jewel cichlid (5-star general) and any unwanted species in Lake Wilson (and I'll quietly weep for the disappearance of those cool but illegally stocked species). Then there will be a precedence case as to what too low a level can do, you can push for installation of windmills to improve water mixing and oxygen level, push for increasing the minimum lake level, and restock the lake with whatever species you so desire with a clean slate (unfortunately, I will quietly weep that there will be too many largemouth and smallmouth bass :lol: Sorry, I just love variety, that's all...).

There is a Chinese saying that with every crisis come opportunities...in fact, the noun "Crisis" in Chinese is composed of two words...the first word means danger or hazard, and the second word means chance or opportunity, depending on how you pair that root word with other words. But you can see that wise Chinese old men from the past had made that noun...so look for opportunities amid crisis. :wink:

I feel for you guys, I really do...Lake Wilson is such a fun lake to fish and there are always a lot of surprises to catch. :D

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:20 pm

Getting money for the windmills from the government is going to be tough...a community project may be more realistic...with some deep pocketed community partner (businesses looking for donation opportunity for tax write offs).

If you plan them well, these windmills and the surrounding areas can be turned into a fish rich hot spots. While you are at it, maybe do a bit of lake engineering to create new habitat with rocks (if available) or those new recycled fishing line habitat thingy.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/about/be ... -fish-habs

All you need is 75 UPC codes from Berkley line spools for each one...for $75 each...

If you guys want to carry this forward, I can send you all my future UPC codes from my Berkley line spools. I usually use Trilene XL or Big Game for my mono...so you I can put in my little part to help the lake.

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Oh, and I think what Lake Wilson really need is a few breeding Giant Snakehead. While you are at it, put in Cobra Snakehead, Northern Snakehead, Striped Snakehead and replenish the Blotched Snakehead (pongee) population. The water stays warm enough to support them...and I'm sure they would love to dine on some Red Devils. Since they can breath air, they can survive in low oxygen periods.

You will then have one of the greatest Snakehead fishery in the world...and a lot of people will flock to Lake Wilson just to catch them.

They State may not be very please though...but you would have one heck of a fishery. You already have Blotched Snakehead in the lake...what's the addition of 4 other species? :twisted:

Just saying. :wink:

BillFHM3C
bass level

Postby BillFHM3C » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:14 am

The State is good at taking surveys, but that's about all. The lake seems to be a thorn in the state's side. It's there, they just don't know what to do with it. They have no direction. And they always cry proverty when it come to maintaining or building it up. Lake Wilson could be a world class draw for Peacock Bass fishing among other exotic species. Who would need to go all the way to Central or South America to catch the exotics when you can come to sunny, secure and safe Hawaii! You won't get kidnapped or taken hostage...and hey(!) it's safe to drink the water! Hence you won't spend your entire trip on the komode.

With the right management Lake Wilson could become a valuable asset to our economy and a real high end fishing draw. But given the bureaucracy, politics, red tape and political foot dragging the lake is doomed to be an out dated irrigation pond that the politico's see as a red herring around their short-sighted necks, not the diamond in the rough Lake Wilson really is. Can I get an "Oh YEAH!" Aloha!
The Worst Day Fishing beats the Best Day Working HANDS DOWN!!!

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:33 am

Well Put!!!! Oh YEAH!!!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Last time the water levels got really low at wilson the largemouth bass fishing exploded and from what it seems hasnt slowed down a ton. Not sure if that was due to low water levels but they seemed to coincide with each other. It has been about a year and half since i fished wilson last so i cant speak first hand of the largemouth fishing :( however either march or april 2011 i had a 26 laregmouth day.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Return to “Fishing Reports”