report 8/17/12

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

marcusn
King Sushi level

report 8/17/12

Postby marcusn » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:54 pm

No school today so we headed out to the lake. Started off slow with one largemouth on a shakeyhead, 1/8th green pumpkin head, green pumpkin FF treat worm. Not much after that so we headed back to the ramp to get lunch. After, the action picked up when we found the schooling pattern. Used up all my new FF soft jerk baits, we gotta make more! Rigging them on a 3/0 ewg hook. Pacific color and a sort of silver baitfish color. Double hookups happened a couple of times! Caught another 15 or so more. Not a bad day!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:13 am

You ever try the double jerbait rig? Pretty cool, quite often when you hook one another will come and grab the other. They are quite a few youtube vids showing how to rig it up. Its pretty easy. You can also do the same thing with swimbaits. Haven't had as much success with that rig.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:39 am

I'm sure that would be successful on the schholing fish, but our laws prohibit the use of two lures on one line. :?
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:43 am

hooking them one by one and fighting them is more fun to me also.

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:52 am

i also got to test out a couple more trokar hooks. Not too bad this time only missed one. Still, i dont think i can buy them regularly due to their high prices. And i do just as good with owner and gamakatsu.

WET
bass level

Postby WET » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:29 pm

nice ones! i couldn't keep a schooling fish hooked on thrus, spitting my hooks left and right... I need to buy some of them lures from u guys

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:14 am

Marcus, let me know how you feel about hooking them one at a time after you have two three pounders on :) It's a BLAST! It's not like it happens all the time either. You may only get a few doubles a year with the double fluke rig if you fish it regularly. The two three pounders I caught at the same time actually came while I was fishing a LC sammy, that was pretty cool, 6lbs of fish in once cast one on the front hook one on the back.

The trokars are definitely too expensive for only being a little bit better. I don't mind spending more for quality rods and reels because there is usually a big difference from an $80 dollar rod to a $200. But 7 or 8 bucks for 4 or 5 hooks is crazy. I need to get a trokar sponsor"

Another good softjerkbait hook are the mustad kvd grip pins. They keep them from sliding down the shank really well. Bad thing about them is if you want to change colors you can't without ruining the bait, unless you cut your line and pull it off the other way. But they do hold the baits exceptionally well.

Roadwarrior, I'm not trying to be argumentative but laws also prohibit exceeding 5mph on the lake or creating a wake but that is rarely followed. And is definitely much more dangerous than using two baits. I would view it differently if you were using two baits and keeping the fish or during a tournament. But if its just recreational catch and release fishing, what's the harm.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:56 pm

I know. I guess we all select which laws we abide by and which ones we bend. :lol: I don't mind if anyone uses multiple lures per line, as long as they are aware of the legality of their actions. I'd hate to see a young kid get busted for just trying something that was suggested to him on this site, not knowing it was illegal. We seem to have some crazy laws for our lake indeed.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Fishing Reports”