backcountry trout

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

marcusn
King Sushi level

backcountry trout

Postby marcusn » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:15 am

we headed up to the eastern sierras to hike 6 hours into the wilderness for camping and awsome trout fishing. besides freezing my butt off and hiking up at 11,400 feet altitude, the fishing was great. i stopped counting after 57 haha. i caught a mix of rainbow and brook trout, i was hoping to find some golden trout but i couldnt. all of the trout were caught on flies i tied myself, small spinners, and FF trout worms! with all those lakes filled with hungry trout, this was a perfect time to practice with my fly rod. Flies i tied were parachute adams, griffith's gnat, sierra bright dot, mosquito, and some others i created myself. using the small spinners and ff trout worms worked better at deeper ponds and lakes. rigging the trout worms on a size 10 owner hook and a split shot, colors used were purple and a sort of light yellow. i call it cheese haha. even though the fish were small i still had loads of fun hooking and fighting them over and over again. Will do some bass fishing soon and more trout adventures later.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:44 pm

:D
That does look cold... No way I could hike to that altitude, even if the fishing was good. :lol:

When you get back I want to show you my Tenkara rod.
It would have been perfect of you.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:37 am

Sweet!

I'm heading there in August for Golden Trout too. I'm not going to bother fishing the lakes...I love small stream fly fishing so that's what I'll be looking for in the area.

Can't wait for a little Golden to smash my dry fly :D :D :D

Stan Wright wrote::D
That does look cold... No way I could hike to that altitude, even if the fishing was good. :lol:

He only has a touque and a long sleeve shirt on...you call that cold? :roll: :P
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:07 am

Thats AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Glad we made them!!!!!!!!! The STINGER and Trout worms has been my go too here in PA and NJ ALSO!!!!!!!! LOOKS like we will need to be making more ASPA!!!! Betting This finesse style fishing will clean up when the fishing is tough at Wilson..

Return to “Fishing Reports”