April 15 - HFFA Tournament Report

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

shanai
King Sushi level

April 15 - HFFA Tournament Report

Postby shanai » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:40 pm

17 anglers in eleven boats took to the water to fish the April HFFA monthly tournament. Another perfect day for fishing. Water clarity was clear with the level at 80 and temperatures ranging from 72-74 degrees. Morning weather conditions included mostly overcast skies turning to bluebird skies and some light showers in the late afternoon.

Catching was better than last month with club members weighing in over 30 bass, mostly in the 1-1 1/2 pound range although a couple were in the 2-4 pound range. Nine limits were recorded with several members reporting that they culled fish during the day. Only three Tucs were caught, however; the Tucs were of better size in the 2-3 pound range.

Not much busting action was noted during the day although large Tucs as well as schools of smaller Tucs were seen cruising the shoreline, maybe in preparation for spawning. We tried to entice the Tucs to bite using jerkbaits as well as Stan Wright's secret 2" white Senko but the Tucs just subbed our offerings. We were being teased by the dark side.

My partner and I were both fortunate to catch out three-fish limits, all bass. The day started
slowly for us, with our first fish coming on a crankbait, followed by one on a jig later in the morning. The catching did not pick up until mid-morning when we began catching bass on worms, creature baits and jigs.

A few club members stayed behind to again record weighs and lengths of fish caught as part of a lake management study of Lake Wilson. The information gathered will be used to formulate a comprehensive management plan to hopefully improve and sustain the freshwater fishing
for future generations to come. We hope that others who fish the lake will continue to submit their catch records to the bass forum.

May HFFA Tournament slated for May 20th

steve

:)

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:34 am

Did we fish in the same tourney Steve? My day was just opposite. I had my limit by 7:40 A.M. then hardly caught another fish most of the day. Well, thats fishing for ya!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Fishing Reports”