Friday the 13th

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Friday the 13th

Postby Pegasus » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:59 pm

Friday morning I picked up a nice largemouth. He was 21 inches long and weighed 4 lbs. He was healthy. My photographer was in school, so I shot this picture of it on the deck for perspective. Nice dark side surprise for a friday the 13th.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:17 pm

He doesnt look to bad for Lake Wilson standards, but compared to national standards, that bass should weigh about 5 3/4 lbs. Still better than the dinks I catch. :lol:
Last edited by roadwarriorsvt on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Imagine how the bass would be if the State (bozos) only listened to Bob Kincaid, and introduced Florida strain bass to the lake.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:50 pm

How many years I went down to the state legislature and testified...
:evil:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:37 pm

All,

Though Florida strain largemouth bass would have been great, it still goes back to food supply. Does Lake Wilson have enough feed to support the fishery, I don't think so.

I get the impression that the largemouth bass strain that is in the lake in more northern. Northern speices are more aggressive but do not put the weight on like their counterparts from the south.

Also, with the Tuc species and their aggressive behavior, we still have a similar problem. Remember, its still about species, forage feed and water coverage. Lake Wilson is just too small and has too many other issues.

The picture of the largemouth bass looked good, but should have been heavier.

Bass regards,

Mel - Kahuna bass
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:28 am

I agree with da Kahuna. As much as I'd love some FL strain, this lake just can't support another species of fish. I think that the forage just isn't there, which is only one of the lake's problems. We do suspect that inbreeding may be an issue with this lake. This issue is being addressed. 8)
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Fishing Reports”