Report 4/1/2012

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

chipster621
bass level

Report 4/1/2012

Postby chipster621 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:08 pm

Got to Paper Bark and a little to close to shore and hit a log and broke the prop pin. Big thanks to a guy named Hank who stopped and towed me back to the ramp. I'm really glad i didn't have to row myself back. He said he had a good day fishing.

I think Stan's prank filled up the parking lot. Got there after 2 lot was FULL. There were even 2 trailers on the little "bridge."

All I got was a red devil.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:31 pm

Growing up on a shallow, stump filled lake in Texas, Dad always had a dozen sheer pins in the tackle box. I learned to change the sheer pin on the little 3 HP outboard before I was in the 3rd grade. We went through so many that he made his own by cutting up a long brass wire.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

chipster621
bass level

Postby chipster621 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:40 pm

Yeah, this is lesson from the school of hard knocks. Got two prop kits from West Marine and will be adding tools and a prop kit to my boat kit.

So, I've got paddles, tow rope, whistle, fire extinguisher, prop kit, life vests, and a spike in my boat kit? Anything else I should add?

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:00 pm

rain gear and a first aid kit are in mine.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:35 am

Sunscreen, energy bars. (and most of the stuff mentioned above) I keep everything in an Action Packer... fairly water proof, all in one container, and I have it if I need it.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:25 am

I've used a nail before to fix a pin,, but on a trolling engine... My must have's are:
Fire Extinguisher,,, Water,,,,, rain gear,,,, Knive,,,, paddle,, wistle,, throwable...

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:20 pm

Some may think I'm going a little overboard but my boat has a ton of storage space so I use it well. This what I keep in my boat:

Tools:
A whole socket set, multi tool, a ratcheting screw driver that has flat head and phillips heads of multiple sizes, electrical tape, an assortment of electrical connections, needle nose pliers, diagnol cutters, 2 monkey wrenches, WIRE TIES(MUST HAVE), marine silicon, an assorment of marine grade nuts and bolts. Also have probably 100ft of rope and fuses. Also, a prop wrench.

Sometimes if I'm leaving my house for a few days with my boat I will even bring my cordless drill.

Safety and comfort:
I keep a first adr kit, sunscreen, rain gear, a change of clothes, an airhorn plus just about everything everyone else mentioned and a flashlight(another must have).

Spare sunglasses and a hat(I'm fair skinned) I also keep spare clothes for my son as well and I have a spare lifejacket for him in case his was to some how to get lost. Usually at least a gallon of water. I also keep two lighters in my boat.....AND LET'S NOT FORGET....TOILET PAPER!

A 12v power inverter and a cell phone charger.

Spare parts:
I keep a spare trolling motor prop, pins and the bolt cap thingy, spare plug, at least a quart of 2 stroke oil (i'd have to be a dummy to run out of gas as I have a 55gal tank) when I had two trolling motors I've kept one in the boat (even did an on the water trolling motor swap once ans was back to fishing in an hour or so) I plan on getting a spare prop for my outboard as well but those are expensive for my motor! Need to find a used one that will suffice in an emergency.

I hate having a day of fishing ruined due to some sort of malfunction.

What I need to do now is organize all this stuff again!
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Return to “Fishing Reports”