March 3/18/12 HFFA Tournament Results

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

shanai
King Sushi level

March 3/18/12 HFFA Tournament Results

Postby shanai » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:23 pm

12 anglers in eight boats took to the water to fish the March HFFA monthly tournament. Another perfect day for fishing. Morning weather conditions included mostly overcast skies, light rain with water temperature ranging between 71-73 degrees with the water level at 80. The water was mostly stained although water clarity cleared past Kincaids. Afternoon weather was mostly sunny.

Catching was tough as the bite were few and far between. Caught my first bass on my third cast @ 7:30 am with a spinnerbait in the grass. Sadly, this was to be my only bite & fish for the whole day. My fishing partner didn't fare much better, with two fish for the day. Over the course of the day, We tried flipping worms, jigs, shallow and deep crankbaits, lipless crankbaits, swimbaits, jerkbaits and even Stan Wright's secret 2" white senko. We changed colors on the lures from chartreuse to red to blue and everything in between.

Other members did much better with eight catching their 3 bag limit. A few members mentioned that they probably culled another 10 fish or so during the course of the day.

Of course we had to ask what the bite was on for the day: The response was spinnerbaits, flipping worms, jigs, shallow & deep crankbaits, lipless crankbaits, swimbaits and jerkbaits. ( not sure if anyone caught anything on Stan Wright's secret lure ) Go figure !!! Largest fish of the day was a nice Tuc weighing 5.38 pounds.

A few club members stayed behind to weigh and measured the bass that were caught as part of a study to chart bass sizes in Lake Wilson.

steve

:D

GaBoy
angler level

Re: March 3/18/12 HFFA Tournament Results

Postby GaBoy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:03 am

[quote="shanai"]12 anglers in eight boats took to the water to fish the March HFFA monthly tournament. Another perfect day for fishing. Morning weather conditions included mostly overcast skies, light rain with water temperature ranging between 71-73 degrees with the water level at 80. The water was mostly stained although water clarity cleared past Kincaids. Afternoon weather was mostly sunny.

Catching was tough as the bite were few and far between. Caught my first bass on my third cast @ 7:30 am with a spinnerbait in the grass. Sadly, this was to be my only bite & fish for the whole day. My fishing partner didn't fare much better, with two fish for the day. Over the course of the day, We tried flipping worms, jigs, shallow and deep crankbaits, lipless crankbaits, swimbaits, jerkbaits and even Stan Wright's secret 2" white senko. We changed colors on the lures from chartreuse to red to blue and everything in between.

Other members did much better with eight catching their 3 bag limit. A few members mentioned that they probably culled another 10 fish or so during the course of the day.

Of course we had to ask what the bite was on for the day: The response was spinnerbaits, flipping worms, jigs, shallow & deep crankbaits, lipless crankbaits, swimbaits and jerkbaits. ( not sure if anyone caught anything on Stan Wright's secret lure ) Go figure !!! Largest fish of the day was a nice Tuc weighing 5.38 pounds.

A few club members stayed behind to weigh and measured the bass that were caught as part of a study to chart bass sizes in Lake Wilson.

steve

:D[Caught 8 LMB. Due to the muddy water conditions I decided to flip and pitch close to shoreline. All my fish came off hardwood. The 5 I released weighed between 1.2 - 1.8 lbs and bewteen 13-14". Tough but just hand to pound the hardwood. Congrats on Kelton for taking the club big fish pot! I saw him pounding the shore line as well:) ]

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:00 am

I feel fortunate to have caugh my limit plus a couple of extra! And yes, most of mine were in or near cover also.

We got a great start on keeping length/weigh records for the bass. We measured and weighed 30 fish after the tournement.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

shanai
King Sushi level

Postby shanai » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Hey Tommy,

There was a tagged fish among the ones that you folks measured yesterday. Do you happen to have the length and weight on that fish, just curious to find out about the growth since it was tagged.

steve :D

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Yes Steve, that bass was TAG #4890. He measured 14 1/2" and weighted 1 lb. 1 oz. Caught 3-18-12.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:10 am

:(
Sorry,
Don't have any information on that fish yet... who ever tagged it hasn't turned in their report yet.
:twisted:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:10 pm

I'm wondering if that is one of Jeff's tags?

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Ya,, its def one of mine, I just don't have it in my phone. Think its in my log back there.. I'll be back tomarrow to check..

Return to “Fishing Reports”