Tuc on a Fly

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Rfong
minnow level

Tuc on a Fly

Postby Rfong » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Had a productive day on the lake today with a mixture of different flies. Got both Large Mouth Bass and Tucs, but the highlight came at about 1pm.

We were fishing with foam popper flies and a cast made tight to the bank between two sunken logs produced a surface explosion made by this...

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:22 pm

That is a beautiful Tuc! Well done! Any weight on that bad boy? I'm thinking about 5-6 lbs. 8)
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Jesse
bass level

Postby Jesse » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:31 pm

Nice fish!!!

Rfong
minnow level

Postby Rfong » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:34 pm

Roadwarrior, thanks for reminding me, I have to get a scale to keep on my boat. If that Tuc was a trout of equal length, it would have weighed 5-6 lbs. But since the Tuc is deeper in the body and much bigger in the head I think I'd like to call this fish 6+ lbs. :D

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:55 pm

I use to catch a lot of 4 to 6 pound peacock bass :D
Then I got that BogaGrip with the built in scale...
Now days I only catch 1 to 2 pound fish. :shock:
Never should have got that stupid scale... :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you have a length, I can check it against the data of tagged fish we have and give you a guess on the weight. I like your guess better.
Nice fish, thanks for posting.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Rfong
minnow level

Why weigh it?

Postby Rfong » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:31 pm

I never understood why we even attempt to guess at the weight of these fish. You could only be wrong. I think anything fish under 20 lbs should be measured and expressed in inches of length (and girth). If you really need to know the weight, there is a calculation you can do: Length x length x girth divided by 1,200 (this "x" factor is for bass, it varies for different species of fish)
http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2696&q=322728

This fish was 20" long but I didn't measure the girth, I was just happy to land and release it.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:02 pm

personally i like the booyah factor, if its bigger than what you been catching of late and the fight was awesome then the weight is only gonna belittle you to a guy that caught a bigger fish. after months of catching 1lb and 2 lb bass my 3-6 felt like a whale and i was stoked!! course on the mainland people would laugh at anything under 10lbs. but hell they are in snow right now!!!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:21 pm

Instead of all the multiplication (and subsequent thinking) it'd be easier and more accurate to just hang the fish on a scale and be done with it! :lol:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:09 am

:D
I subscribe to the theory that any fish that breaks your line or jumps and throws the hook and gets away is a 10 pounder.

I also believe that over time, the fish you caught will tend to grow in length and in weight. This has more to do with how many times the fish story is told rather than length of time.

I also believe that all fishermen are liers... except for you and me of course.
(but I still want to see a picture of the one you caught)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Rfong
minnow level

Postby Rfong » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:31 pm

"Booyah" and bragging rights are powerful arguments but I like Stan's thinking of letting the Legend grow for which there is no comeback.

A big fish photo, accompanied by a fishing tale, is something you carry in your wallet. A guy showed me a fish pix just the other day. I asked him if he had a pix of his wife too. He said NO.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Fishing Reports”