11-5-11 Report

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

11-5-11 Report

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:31 pm

All I can say is that today was tough. I didn't make it out until the afternoon. I had one blow-up in the Mikimiki Flats grass and caught this poor largemouth up north on a white Gary Yamamoto. Water was still muddy to stained at best. He is a tagged bass, #4244. I didn't weigh him but he looked about 16"-17" in length and maybe 1# at best. Pretty sad.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:23 am

That's one that Jeff tagged... we'll have to get the story from him.

I'd call the water "Muddy" (less than 2 foot visibility)

Poor underfed bass. Sure not a fat belly little butter ball we'd like to see.

And I'm going to have to get you a tape measure.
Perhaps get a Sharpie and mark one inch segments along your fishing rod.

:lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Tag 4244

Postby Filthyfisherman » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:26 pm

That fish was caught on 9-17-11 at Morgans point at 12 noon on The Filthy Lizzard in Bluefleck color on 3/0 EWG hook and 3/8oz bullet. And I don't remember tagging anything that Skinny? He was fatter in Sept...

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:50 pm

UPDATE:

11-9-11: I caught thie same tagged LMB again, in the same area, probably within 15' of where I caught him last time. Water was only stained today so a watermelon plastic was used.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:27 pm

Good to hear he is still alive! Looks like he should be on life support, but he is still healthy enough to feed, so that's good. Maybe he will fatten up during the winter.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:51 pm

Who knows? I don't think there is to much forage in the area he is staying. Its interesting that he was tagged, healthy, at Morgan's Pt. in Sep., then went about as far north as he could go and has stayed there. I'd like to say he is probably skinny from spawning but I've caught way to many just like this.

djverve05
master baiter level

Postby djverve05 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:22 am

I was talking to my father about LM and he said that LM tend to feed a lot for awhile then sit on it kind of like hibernating. He also suggested that with fall arriving they may have already gone through their feeding cycle, and are sitting on it until the next feeding cycle. Sounds like a legitimate reason to me.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:02 pm

I've caught LMB like that way up north too. DJverve theory sounds like a good one, makes sense too considering that normally a basses motabolism slows consideribly when water starts dropping below 60..and since that doesn't happen at wilson he would continue to burn calories at a high rate when not eating since the temp doesn't drop low enough to actually slow their motabolism. But I would think they'd just continue to eat. My theory is they go up there for 2 possibly reasons, 1 being better oxygenated water and the other bait. I have seen really big schools of shad all they way up there with tucs chasing them and some LMB mixed in wish I could remember what time of year that was! After they eat up all the shad they don't migrate back and left with nothing to eat and lose weight. But I'm already am thinking of holes in that theory too....I think that fish just might have something wrong with it...maybe an internal parasite or blocked digestive sytem. Maybe the next skinny one caught up there could benifit from a relocation back to the main lake.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:17 pm

I've caught LMB like that way up north too. DJverve theory sounds like a good one, makes sense too considering that normally a basses motabolism slows consideribly when water starts dropping below 60..and since that doesn't happen at wilson he would continue to burn calories at a high rate when not eating since the temp doesn't drop low enough to actually slow their motabolism. But I would think they'd just continue to eat. My theory is they go up there for 2 possibly reasons, 1 being better oxygenated water and the other bait. I have seen really big schools of shad all they way up there with tucs chasing them and some LMB mixed in wish I could remember what time of year that was! After they eat up all the shad they don't migrate back and left with nothing to eat and lose weight. But I'm already am thinking of holes in that theory too....I think that fish just might have something wrong with it...maybe an internal parasite or blocked digestive sytem. Maybe the next skinny one caught up there could benifit from a relocation back to the main lake.

Return to “Fishing Reports”