8-6-11 Report

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

8-6-11 Report

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:37 pm

The wife and I caugh a little bait fish and headed out for BBP in the evening. We got there around 5:30 or so. Fished with Bill for a little while. The fish seemed to come by in waves. We only caught 9 total, but some broke the 3 lb. mark.

Some really rich colors on this Tuc.

The Tuc pictured above seems pretty healthy. The LMB below seems sickly.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:49 am

Glad to see you and your better half enjoying the Tucs!!

That bass doesn't look right, big head and a small body.

I really believe that there is not enough shad and other feeder fish to support what's in the lake.

Like Stan mentioned a couple weeks back, there needs to be slot limit for Tucs or the end result will continue to get bad for the Lgm bass.

Mel - Kahuna bass
Darkside live baiter in Singapore, hoping to go Peacock bass fishing soon!
They got them big here!! :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

fish4fun
master baiter level

Postby fish4fun » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:38 pm

I agree with the idea of slot
Anyone know if the Shad could also be stocked.
From what I'm reading here we should Also be tossing the red devils up on the bank?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:56 pm

I hear someone is working on getting our lake evaluated. :wink: I'm guessing that we will need to add bluegill and minnows and extract red devils, cichlids, etc. and get rid of the current "Catch & Release" as we know it. Again., this is only my guess at this point.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:48 pm

before people start harvesting gamefish id like to see the invasive species gone first and crayfish as a second forage re introduced back in numbers into the lake and see if that makes a diffrence.

LCPointer
master baiter level

Postby LCPointer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:32 pm

I too would like to see the Red Devils, Plecostomus and other invasive fish removed or culled before taking the gamefish. The fishery is too small to sustain keeping gamefish. With all the poaching already going on, a slot limit will only encourage more illegal taking. People will think a "slot limit" means if it fits in my bag or cooler, it's good to go, LOL. Look at the condition of the saltwater fishing from shore around the island. Fishermen keep everything they catch and if you ever go snorkeling, you will see how decimated the fish population is. I understand the desire to have trophy size fish but I think the better solution is to get rid of the trash fish and provide more forage.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:49 pm

All this is speculation until the lake is surveyed to see what exactly we have and how much of each species are present, but I'm in agreement that non-target species should be harvested (heavily).

Return to “Fishing Reports”