My biggest bass in awhile!

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

My biggest bass in awhile!

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:31 am

Finally got the pic of my big bass for the last tournament..she was just under 5lbs. Got her on a KVD 2.5 with 30 mins left to fish!

fish4fun
master baiter level

Postby fish4fun » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:54 am

Nice fish and sweet boat. Congrats!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:02 am

Yep. Nice fish. I think it was the Nitro that helped bring that fish in! 8)
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks! I'm really starting fall in love with the KVD sqaurebills! They're definitelyl not all hype like some of the previous classic winning baits. The really do have a unique action to them that onther crankbaits don't have but shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone :)

Basshead
bass level

Tournament?

Postby Basshead » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Nice fish. Id like to fish in your tourn. Please provide details on club or days of tourn. Mahalos.

( 808) bass hunter
angler level

Postby ( 808) bass hunter » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:43 pm

I hope you know that he's in Texas! n not HAWAII :? i'd be :? to if the location is still posted as being in hawaii!!!(hope this helps)

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:42 pm

Sorry Basshead..I forgot to change my location..moved from Hawaii 2 months ago. All though it would be difficult for you to fish in the San Angelo Bassbusters tournaments you can fish in the HFFA tournaments. They have them once a month..on the 2nd or 3rd Sunday. You can private message shanai and he can get you the info on the next tournament.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:39 am

Hey, you need to get to OH Ivie before it dries up! I heard someone caught a 13 pounder a few days ago. Hope you are enjoying the fishing despite the heat.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm going this weekend, I PROMISE...was gonna go yesterday and the day before but a couple guys in my class wanted to go and they can hardly use a spinning reel :) so since I've been on em at Oak Creek I thought they'd have better chance of catching bass there...But I AM GOING THIS WEEKEND!!!! And it turns out even though I was catching em at oak creek, they didn't. They actually were driving me a little NUTS! I found this cove area that averages about 8ft deep with a ton of stick up and hydrilla mixed in..and Ive been catching a lot of bass quality from there on KVD 1.5's and 2.5's, well taking 2 "rookies" back there was a mistake...every 30 seconds I was turning the boat around to get them unstuck..funny thing was when they'd get stuck they always thought they had a fish, still managed to get a 2.5 and 4lber out of my honey hole that day, just got too frustrated and went back to fishing rock points, think I got 9 or 10 total.............I don't think I'd make a very good guide :) not enough patience for ultra rookies. Though taking kids fishing is a blast, I can deal with their shannanigans:) Now I think I know why Stan is all about the Dark Side :) Much less casting!

OH! and I lost a nice fish Sunday due to my laziness!! I decided to switch from my finesse worm to a 6" Senko and I didn't feel like changing my 2/0 worm hook to a 3/0 EWG that work much better for texas rigged senkos! And this is not the first time not doing this has bit me in the butt! This fish was an easy 6lbs!!!! I set the hook...hard!! Start reeling her in, and about half way to the boat she jumps shakes her head..and my hook comes flying out! Get the bait back to the boat to see what went wrong, and it was obvious, because the senkos are so much thicker than normal worms when you hook a fish on a non extra wide gap the bait blocks the hook from going all the way through its mouth a lot of the time. With the EWG's the senko has enough room to slide down so the hook actually penatrates all the way through the basses mouth!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

Basshead
bass level

Tourn.

Postby Basshead » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks for the info, thought you were still here. Mahalo.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:40 am

Skunked,
Fished Ivie yesterday and didn't do well. Caught 3 dinks and one of those dinks was a whitebass. The water is SOO low there. I actually missed more fish there in one day than I normally do over like 6 fishing trips! I will attribute that to my broken hand and cast..really makes it hard to reel down and get a hook set off before they spit it!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:54 pm

It is so sad to see all the lakes in TX drying up. I hope you get a chance to fish there again. One of those missed bites might have been a 10 pounder!
Hope your broken hand heals soon. Once it heals...It's on son! LoL! I have heard good things about guide J.R. Howard on OH Ivie http://www.lakeiviebass.com/ Maybe you could ask him for some tips.
My wife and I will be fishing Lake Fork this month with guide Ronnie Kelley. Hopefully we catch a few and don't get hospitalized from heat stroke! I'll write one of my lame reports when I get back.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 pm

Actually one of the fish I set on broke my line! Doesn't gurantee it was a big fish but i'd like to think it was. I was actually lucky enough to catch a 10lb4oz bass when I was 14 at lake casitas in so cal. Plan on going back there next spring to try to beat my record. I have more faith that I can do it at casitas than any of the texas lakes....well I may go to amistad this weekend..may have a good chance there :)

Return to “Fishing Reports”