monday/ kermits revenge!!

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

monday/ kermits revenge!!

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:39 pm

got a rare weekday off and snuck out to the lake before the honeydoo list could be enforced. beautiful morning very calm and warm and serene. headed down to boyscout island right off the bat, not to look for schoolin but to throw kermit in the grass beds!! as soon as the sun came up a bit little pops and bloops started all over the place. couldnt resist so i pulled off the grass for a bit and started to chase the busts. caught a nice little tuc on the first cast, found a little 2 inch sammy hanging in a tree several weeks ago that had been there some time and had faded so much it was nearly clear and........ITS MAGIC!! the busters eat it up bad! caught several small tucs in the 8-10 in range and several largemouth in the same size range. parked in the middle off the ridge on the kunia side of boyscout and they were everywhere, nothing big but one here one there kinda stuff. with no wind i would just sit and wait to cast to anything that came up in range. couple of guide boats keyed in on the action but kept chasing and chasing. always outa range or facing the wrong way and miss the bust, i felt bad after i had got a few in front of them( ok not too bad) hahahah imagine my surprise when i caught 3 tucs over 3lbs in the busts!! there were some big uns hitting some of the pods and you could tell cause fish were flying everywhere when they came up! dunno whats worse when they are out of range or when they are literally bumping into the boat and you cant even cast they are so close!! too close!! and risk losing the line or breaking the pole if they hook up. had a big guy grab my line and foul hook as he ran off line in mouth. so awesome to see the tucs up close and busting them poor shad. after my short(2hr) pursuit of the tucs they were ful;l and i moved on, back to kermit! found out my battery was dead, no good,had read full on the charger but hadnt taken a charge. not the best time or place to find out the battery dosent have any juice. luckily i had a small cabelas portable battery i use for my forward fish finder and it saved my arms that long paddle back!! im impressed it had enough juice to start my main and gimme another hour wit hthe trolling motor saving my day! and kermit worked great caught several nice chunky 1+lb bass in the grassbeds and the hooks and pole and line worked great! i dunno what changed but kermit was on fire! i didnt wanna risk to much so i called it an early day at lunch and headed in, shoulda tried for the triple but didnt wanna risk ruining an pretty good trip with a long paddle and no cell phone.caught maybe 7 tucs several in the 3lb class and about 10 bass, nothing big but sure fun on topwaters!!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:02 pm

I think a frog in the grass would be the ticket here lately. Just wondering: Do you have separate batteries for the trolling and cranking motor? Sounds like one battery does it all for you. :?:

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:10 pm

had 2 but tried to cut down on the weight by losing one, i run 2 on windy days or days i know ill be out with another person and might wear the main down fast. just glad i been to lazy to hook up the from finder to the line under the front of the boat or i wouldnt have had that little battery to save me. im very impressed with it, its only like 3 inch wide and 6-7in long , 12 volt 7 ohm and i was shocked it powered me for another hour or 2, no wind of course but damn i teasted it every time i was gonna stop to make sure it would have enough juice to restart.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:36 pm

You lead a dangerous life Basstracker! :lol: I think I wouldn't mind the weight of a second battery to give me a greater peace of mind.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:03 pm

says the guy out inthe lightning storm!! hahahaha

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:16 am

Yea, thats definitely the pot calling the kettle black! :lol:

djverve05
master baiter level

Postby djverve05 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:03 pm

What color frog did you use? Never had any luck with a frog on Wilson, but I am very curious to know so I can try again in the future.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:58 pm

actually was using a white/silver horneytoad on monday.but have had great success with a spro bronzeye in natural color also. the spro gets hit more and is alot easier to work, it floats and much more weedless. you can keep popping it in a small area too which really pisses em off. i havent had good luck getting em though, lots of blowups with alot of misses. i have some great really living looking frogs that used to get slammed and its clear nuff now i think i may have to bust em out, although they dont make em anymore and every one i lose is irreplaceable!

Return to “Fishing Reports”