Thursday Apr 7th report

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Thursday Apr 7th report

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Fished from about 1pm to 5pm caught 8 fish. 6 bass 1 tuc and a "state record" bluegill. I will post a pick of the bluegill later. Caught bass on a few different lures. Got my nicest on a zoom horny toad he was just shy of 19inches..I tried weighing him but my scale display wasn't working it just showed 888 :) he SLAMED that frog it was very exciting, I initially thought it was a tuc because of how hard he hit. Most my other bass came on a jig minus 1 on a redeye shad. Tuc came on a buzzbait that was thrown over some grass/brush he was about 3lbs. Missed a few more tucs on my buzzbait and my frog. One tuc must have blown up my frog 10 times but I couldn't hook him. Had another tuc that was easily 5lbs blow up my buzzbait twice in one cast, chased it to about 2ft from the boat but couldn't hook him thewn he turned away and I was dissapointed maybe I need to use a trailer hook on the buzzzbait. There wasn't much schooling going on while I fished, but I talked to a guy who said they were busting all morning until about 12. I don't know why but I have a hard time hooking tucs on the larger plastic baits. They hit em viscously but they take the bait all the way. Maybe if I just kill it after they strike the will come back and grab it I dunno but it's kinda frustrating. The larger baits draw a lot of strikes from the larger fish but I can't hook em!!!

FishOnJohnson
bass level

Postby FishOnJohnson » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:32 am

It's always fun to get buzzbait and frog strikes regardless. Good to see someone else who isn't scared to throw such lures! If you don't mind me asking, what color/size buzzbaits do you usually throw on Wilson? I personally love the Booyah Buzz Blade in black 1/4-3/8.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:03 am

I've only thrown a few buzz baits but as far as spinner baits, chart/white is a classic, white with a red streamer (bleeding shad) or white with blue/gray streamers works well. I'd think these color combos on a buzz bait would work equally as well.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:14 pm

I was using a white revenge klacker buzzbait, 1/4oz with a white yum trailer. I haven't really fished with buzzbaits a whole lot. If always kinds prefered zarra spooks and sammy walk the dog type baits for topwater. But I'm always trying to expand my arsenal of techniques. I really like the buzzbait when I was throwing it in the "sticks". All the strikes I had came after it bumped a stick or a log. Sometimes it would even jump the logs like a ramp and the fish couldt stand it...just wished I could have stopped myself from setting too early. I've been fishing mostly soft plastics and jigs lately where you have to set in a hurry and it's just habit/reaction to set fast and hard. I need to retrain myself. I'm gonna get some of the booyah buzzbaits when I go to texas next month. Booyah spinnerbaits are my favorite and I would imagine their buzzbaits are equal in quality. A little advice to all interested...stay away from the booyah boo jigs, they are garbage! But their pigskin jigs are great, much better at comming through brush and logs. Over the past few months I've really been comming to the conclusion that color isn't quite as important as us fisherman make it out to be. If the water is murky I will use white or chartruse for spinnerbaits visible and flashy. If it's on the more clear side I go with a silver color..something more natural. Softplastics I go dark with murky water and go to lighter colors as the water gets clearer.

djverve05
master baiter level

Postby djverve05 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:21 pm

I love the buzzbait bite. My favorite lure to throw especially Klackers. You definitely got to let them take it under water before setting the hook, but I am glad to hear they are hitting it. I've been trying to convince some of these guys "cough cough" Tommy and Stan that the buzzbait is a killer.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:13 pm

actually a good technique is to look for your next cast rather than watch the retrieve, it will give you that split second delay on setting the hook to early. of course wheres the fun in top water if you miss that hit! oh ya and buzzbaits suck dont try em :D

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:22 pm

I do try to not watch by bait but I can't stop myself :) For 1 just like you said, who wants to miss a topwater strike and 2, I usually am casting in near or around something and have to "guide" my lure through and around objects. I HATE it when I get hung up in a spot I'm sure is holding fish. That spot where I had those 2 or 3 strikes when we were fishing basstracker was the same spot that tuc blew up my lure a bunch of time. I've had really good topwater success in that area. It was finally nice to get some fish out of the grass. In the book I'm reading "WHERE THE FISH ARE, the anglers guide to fish behavior" it brought up a good point I'd never considered. When the water levels rise on a body of water, fish will immediately seek the new areas because of all the terrestrial animals that have been flooded.

Maybe I should use my crankbait rod for buzzbaits, it will definitely help slow down my reaction. I was using my spinnerbait rod which is a 6'6" med hvy with a fast action. I think the slower action of my crankin rod should help catch a few more fish. I guess I have another "testing" session now :) I'm gonna start telling my wife that my I'm not going fishing, I'm training! :)

Return to “Fishing Reports”