The Answer

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Pegasus
King Sushi level

The Answer

Postby Pegasus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:39 pm

Flatstalker returns to the lake !

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:14 pm

I've been around the world 3 times,
Been to 2 County Fairs,
And a Goat Ropin'......

But I aint' never seen anything like that.

(you best wear a life jacket)
:lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:36 pm

That would be fun at the Ke'ehi Triangle Flats for chasing after O'io. :wink:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:05 am

That is the exact reason I bought it. I fish the flats on my kayak and the wind can be brutal out there. I went to the flatstalker.com website after another member posted it here. He wanted santa to bring him one for x-mas. A guy from the north shore posted one for sale on craigslist a few days later. We were working on a project out there so I went to check it out and I bought it. I already had a trolling motor so I took it out to the lake and test rode it on New Years Day. I trolled from the ramp out to BSI and back. Picked up two nice tucs and my first ever fish on the troll at the lake. A largemouth of course ! I forgot to mention the part where I jumped off the top box while wearing my wet old slippery crocs. My foot slipped and twisted inside out - almost broke my ankle- and I fell in the lake. Great test ride ! I got an x-ray the next day and learned it was just a bad sprain. Two months and some weeks on crutches later, I am almost walking without a limp.

Stan was right. That thing can be dangerous ! But fun ! And it can go in some skinny water. I will not be wearing crocs again or jumping off that box soon, but as the water drops, I will be trying it out on the lake again. I will keep you updated. Can you believe my wife called me stupid ? Check out that heavy duty motor mount. Is 6 hp too much ?

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:13 am

I was wearing my old slippery Crocks when I jumped off the boat onto the shore at the ramp... only broke my big toe.
:roll:
Not nearly as funny as it sounds.

:evil:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:28 pm

That thing is awesome...but I keep thinking, where will the 10 rods that. I "HAVE" to bring and the 30lbs of tackle that is also a "MUST" go. I'm starting to run out of room in my 17.5ft tracker...I'm definately not a minimnalist.

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:57 pm

How long and how much does one of those cost? Can u buy on island or only shipped from mainland? Looks good for Tako fishing or diving!

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:40 pm

I think that you would have to get it from the mainland. The guy I got mine from brought it out here from Texas. Go to flatstalker.com to check it out. It looked like something that would work on our flats too, so I took a chance and picked it up. I'd bet that it is the only one on the island.

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Very nice my only option is convert a stand up paddle board giving me ideas not for the river though try not to touch the water as much as possible! Very nice thanx for the info!

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:20 pm

Pegasus wrote:Check out that heavy duty motor mount. Is 6 hp too much ?

I think 6 hp (55 lbs.) would be way overkill not just power wise but also weight wise. I have a 17' Grumman canoe as well as a 11' square stern canoe, and a 16' dory with motor well, and on all 3 I run both a 3 hp Tanaka (24 lbs.) or a 2.5 hp Suzuki (28 lbs.) and these will push these crafts 6 to 7 knots. I'm guessing your flat bottom board may get up on plane with just the 2.5 hp. For your application I think the centrifugal clutch of either a Tanaka 3 hp (no longer made) or a Honda 2 hp would be perfect the motor remaining in neutral until given throttle ala weed whacker so no need to reach back to engage/disengage gear.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Return to “Fishing Reports”