Fishing 10/1/10

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

skunked
King Sushi level

Fishing 10/1/10

Postby skunked » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:05 pm

Anyone who went out today, please post here. I wanted to try out a new rod (St. Croix LTB 6'6" ML), so I went to the Island for about 90 minutes. Caught 2 tucs and a small bass. Pretty good fun! Caught all on a 1/16 oz chartreuse road runner which I lost to the tuc in the picture. When I picked him up to unhook him, he slipped and fell into the water, snapping the frayed line, and taking the lure with him. :evil:
Accidentally snagged this devil on my last trip. Poor guy.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:57 pm

I think those LMB are maturing quite nicely. Give them a year or two and we'll have a great lake!

Float Tube 27
master baiter level

Postby Float Tube 27 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:38 am

Nice fish! I'm debating right now on a 6'6" or 7'. Right now i'm leading toward the 7' for longer casting.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:54 am

Are you getting a Legend Tournament Bass, or some other rod? I only like 7' rods that are really light, otherwise I get the 6'6". Funny how just that little extra length can really make a rod feel heavy and cumbersome. Example is the Shimano Crucial. The 7' models are heavy and thick like old fashioned fiberglass rods.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:24 am

skunked wrote:Are you getting a Legend Tournament Bass, or some other rod? I only like 7' rods that are really light, otherwise I get the 6'6". Funny how just that little extra length can really make a rod feel heavy and cumbersome. Example is the Shimano Crucial. The 7' models are heavy and thick like old fashioned fiberglass rods.

Skunked,

You sure got some pretty fish'n gear. I'm not worthy!!

Mel - Kahuna bass
Darkside tackle "ho", only second to Skunked!! :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Float Tube 27
master baiter level

Postby Float Tube 27 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:05 am

Unfortunately, nothing that nice. I am going to order it from bass Pro. I will probably get a Daiwa or the Bass Pro model.

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Just remember, " It's not the arrow, it's the Indian ! " But it is nice to have the best arrows.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Don't you know it takes a $500 combo to snag a fish in the head and to catch a baby bass! You can't do that with Wal-Mart stuff! Seriously though, it's just a hobby (addiction) of mine to collect gear. I really don't even fish much anymore. For actual fishing stories, I live vicariously through you guys here. I might be getting a closeout Stella FD sometime this week, as if the Fuego wasn't good enough. Maybe next year when deals become available I can get a Stella FE, unless my wife kills me first.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Skunked,

You the man.

Ain't nothing wrong with tackle addiction. Some folks like going to Las Vegas, some like to buy highend shoes and purses. You just like fish'n gear :twisted:

Like you, I live vicariously through other fishermen. I haven't freshwater fished in almost 18 months. However, I did a little saltwater fishing in Diego Garcia island, Indian Ocean, a week ago. Conditions sucked - rain, windy, choppy water almost every day.

I'll be in Honolulu on Thursday, hoping to bug Stan or Blue boat Mike to take me fishing(as long as the water level isn't too low)

Hope to be the "tackle ho" like you Skunked!!

Mel - Kahuna bass
Darkside live baiter :evil:

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:15 pm

actually ive been getting used to a carrot stix rod i got on sale at cabelas, i think it was like 89$ on sale from 149$. its so light i had to learn to cast and thumb the reel all over again. i have read that they break easily but after several tucs im pretty sold on em may get another one or two while that deal lasts.just check the bargain cave every so often and you will get a good deal every now and then,reels rods and lures.id go cabelas unless only basspro has it, better shipping better service and better packaging on rods! and they had a promotion recently on 5$ shipping on any order over 100$ with the code on thier homepage

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanks Mel for your understanding. I will be sure to show your post to my wife! I went to the store today pretty much set on getting the Stella FD, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I let myself down! I ended up getting a Stradic Ci4 1000 because the lady gave me a good deal on it. Less than half of what I would've paid for the Stella! Pretty sharp looking reel, but not anywhere near the buttery smoothness of the Stella/Certate/Steez/Luvias/Twinpower/Exist class.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Skunked,

Don't give in, get the Stella!! It's the best.

Look at it this way, it's "man toys" 8) Man must have his addiction, at least every so often. Reel for you, purse and shoes for her, it's all good.

Now, when she starts to ask about the value of your tackle, just offer a low answere. Remember, this is only short term.....because your not going to win :roll:

My wife has decided to hold my fishing gear as hostage. If I forget my place in the pecking order or who the real boss is, she mention's one word------EBAY. I know who wears the pants in my family. :cry: You should see my pretty pink skirt, it goes well with my aloha shirts...

Man rules!..........Oh, yes dear, anything you want....sweety

Mel - Kahuna bass
Darkside "pink skirt live baiter"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:33 pm

Skunked,

Where do you purchase your gear in Hawaii? I've found very limited freshwater gear and I'm not a huge fan of ordering rod/reels from the internet unless they are models I've used previously.

Anyone use any of the Team Daiwa Steez rods and reels? I've read some reviews from bass pro or cabelas and they sound pretty awesome. But would like hear from someone I can throw questions to.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:02 am

Mel, you are hilarious! BTW, the new Stella FE is in stock at Roy's and it is unbelievable! Ca_Bass, the only deals I've got here were at Roy's in Aiea (Crucial rod, stradic 1000FI, stradic Ci4 1000F) and at Charley's in Kakaako area (special ordered 2 shimano rods and a Curado 201E7 with free shipping and 15% off when they were running a special). At Roy's, you have to ask for a quote. Usually it will be even less than ebay! Too bad the freshwater selection is limited. I saw that they are now carrying Curados and Citicas though. My normal way of shopping is to basically tinker with each and every display model of rod and reel at Bass Pro Shops in Pearland, TX whenever I am in town to visit my in-laws. My wife threatens to leave me there and drive back to her Dad's, but I stay strong! I make mental notes of which ones I liked the most. Later, when I am not broke, I order them from BPS (super slow shipping), Cabelas, or Ebay. After this is done, I am broke again, and then I repeat the cycle. Lather, rinse, repeat. Ebay is where I get 90% of my reels. ReelsSeller and ReelSmart Tackle are very trustworthy sellers there. Ohyasales.com is an awesome website for G-Loomis rods also. I got my sole Loomis (BCR802 GLX) from there when they had a sale. After Thanksgiving, tacklewarehouse.com will have their Black Friday sale too!
I don't know much about the Steez rods and reels other than what I've read. I hear some are not as sensitive as they should be for the price. I handled one in the Bargain Cave at Cabelas and it didn't impress me much, but that was just in the store. A lot of comments are about how the Zillion rods are almost as good, but for a lot less $$$. The Steez reels are Mg, so they are light, but can't be used in the salt, and like most Mg reels, they have that somewhat hollow feel. If you are even considering a Steez rod, why not just spring for the new G-Loomis NRX instead? And when you do, call me so I can come check it out!
I know how you feel about not wanting to buy sight unseen. I was so ready to buy a Skeet Reese rod until I actually handled one at Cabelas and couldn't believe how "junk" it felt. Take off the yellow paint and his signature, and you'd swear you were holding a $15 Shakespeare rod from Wal-Mart!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:53 pm

I got an email the other day that was pretty funny...it said...

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife sells my fishing gear for as much as I told her it cost.

Return to “Fishing Reports”