12-23-11 Report

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:43 pm

pics of the stingers. they are around 2 inches, maybe a little bigger. purple is my favorite color. they have awesome darting action!

jeff, i got 2 new rods ready for some action! and the stingers continue to dominate smallies.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:21 pm

:D

If you Texas Rig those things... I have some size 2 and 4 worm hooks.
And a new ultralight rod and reel.
Hint! Hint!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:16 pm

i rig them on 1/16 heads, texas riggin doesnt sound like a bad idea :D

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:12 am

Lets go do some testing! I'm off Thurs/Fri 8)
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:19 pm

i think all crayfish burrow, just some more aggressively than others. i had a friend that wanted to transplant tiger prawns from kahuku into the lake, i had to talk him outa it. seemed like a bad ideas to put another aggressive species into a struggling eco system without proper guidance. adding a few christmas trees for cover might be ok but dumping something that could possibly do more harm than good is a bad idea. the old craws we have in the lake are the normal little brown/black guys found in the streams everywhere here. not sure the genus but bite sized by bass standards and not to destructive i believe. think the plecos and red devils dig more than the craws!!

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:23 am

Wow, what a sad picture. That fish just looked wrong!

I haven't seen a bass with that big head and super small body in a long time. We've all said it before, the balance in the lake is way out of control. May it be eradicating the red devils, slot limits for Tucs, planting more bluegills, something needs to be done.

I remember years past, when we had a local lake here in San Diego that had an "out of balance" fishery. Slot limits was put in place for largemouth bass, more forage fish in place, a couple years later, it worked out great. It's all about the "balance."

As for the small baits, try drop shot. Shaky head lures work too.

Stan, I think its time for you to come out with the,"Stan Wright Bama rig" Instead of 5 baits, go more. More baits on your line, the "mo beta fish'n!"

Happy holidays all!!

Mel - Kahuna bass
Darkside tackle ho, ho, ho! 8)
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:15 am

kahuna bass wrote:the balance in the lake is way out of control. something needs to be done.

Mel,
I'm happy to say that the HFFA had realized this and has hired the best fisheries biologist in the country to come evaluate our lake. This will happen in Feb 2012. 8)
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

seabass
bass level

Re: 12-23-11 Report

Postby seabass » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:36 pm

roadwarriorsvt wrote:I did a little bank fishing this evening to relax a bit. I lost quite a few lures but I ended up catching one of the largest LMB and one of the most sickly LMB I've caught in a long time.

The pic angle doesn't do it justice. Easily over 3 lbs.!

And the sickly LMB

Sorry, I leave the tape & scales behing when climbing over the rocks to get to my secret location! :D .

Hey MarcusN! I think I caught that second bass a month ago. No joke!

Send some Stingahs, the big barred surf perch are biting in California right now! :wink:

Return to “Fishing Reports”