lake wilson set up

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

salto2
bait level

lake wilson set up

Postby salto2 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:59 pm

new to the freshwater fishing scene...usually i go out on my boat for papio and such but would like to fish the peacock bass in the meen time..just to get the feeling of fighting a fish ...my question is can i just hook baby tilapia on a floater and throw it out and what pound test would be consider sporty for the fish in lake wilson main line and leader..thanks for any advice

leoric
bass level

Postby leoric » Fri May 11, 2007 6:54 pm

no need floaters...just freeline it on 8-10 lb test. :D
Image GOT LIVE BAIT?

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri May 11, 2007 7:32 pm

You'll love not having to wash the salt water off your rods, reels, and boat. <grin>
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

hitoshe
angler level

lake wilson set-up

Postby hitoshe » Mon May 14, 2007 9:40 pm

i agree with "leoric" - no need floater. i use 4# test main line on a teeny spinner, then barrel swivel and either 4# or 6# hook leader. i'm like stan, an ultra-lite fan. with a tilapia or medaka as live bait, you should get plenty action with tucs. even caught channel cats and largemouth. and with the light line, really good fun, even tho you lose some fish - they all look huge when they got away!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon May 14, 2007 9:58 pm

I don't know about the rest of you guys but it seems like every fish I hook is hooked in the middle of the upper lip.

I've been using a Size #10, Gold, MZ hook by Maruto (100 hooks for $4.50)
It looks like those AH hooks.

I hook the live bait through the lips... bottom to top. I usually add one BB size split shot..... but not always.

4, 6, and 8 pound test line.... no leader. With that light a line you can't usually bend or break these small hooks. The smaller hook allows more action with your live bait.

Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “Fishing Reports”