Lake Fork Trip #5a and 5b...Still looking for Big Mama!!

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

skunked
King Sushi level

Lake Fork Trip #5a and 5b...Still looking for Big Mama!!

Postby skunked » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:05 am

Well, we did our annual trip to Houston, TX again to visit my in-laws. The mistake we made was going there during the peak of the summer HEAT!! It was 109 degrees on the day we flew home! Never again! We made our usual 530 mile (round trip) road trip to Lake Fork again. We've been there so many times that we didn't need this GPS, but these gadgets are so cool!
Arrived at Lake Fork Marina on 8/15/11 only to find that Lake Fork had evaporated to this:
Just kidding!!!!
The lake was 5.5 ft low, which is much better than some Texas lakes which are in really bad shape. Here are some pics I took around the motel's ramp area.
On 8/16, my wife and I were greeted right outside our room by our guide for the day, Ronnie Kelley www.lakeforkprofishingguide.com He is one of the younger guides, at age 28, but he already has a great reputation for putting his clients on some big fish. Here is a picture of my wife and the first fish of the day which was caught on a BPS Extreme rod, Daiwa Sol 2500 reel, and a shaky head worm rig:
She is such an advanced angler that she can catch fish while music is blasting in her ears and she can't even hear the guide's instructions! Unfortunately, that was the only fish of the day amongst the three of us! Things just didn't work out for us that day, despite Ronnie trying his best to get us bit. It was so hot, he wasn't feeling well, and despite being able to locate fish on his graph, they were just not in the mood to bite. I could tell he felt sick and he was also stressed out that we weren't catching anything. It was supposed to be a full day trip, but we decided to call it a day shortly after lunch. He even refused most of his payment because he felt bad about the fishing. Another reason is that he is strictly a big fish hunter. He didn't go to plan B and bust out the light line and small lures just to get some fish in the boat. He said that there's no point in that because people come to Lake Fork for the big bass, not to catch the same size fish they can catch at any ol' pond. I agreed with that, so we stuck with the big jigs. Even though we didn't catch a lot of fish, I was really impressed with Ronnie and wouldn't hesitate to hire him again or recommend him to others. Even with a pro who does this for a living, there's just some days when it just doesn't go well. I remembered Stan's saying..."that's why they call it fishing, not catching. He also showed me some pics of some huge fish he had just caught at Falcon Lake on the Texas/Mexico border. Wow!! I got some decisions to make about next year!
After parting with Ronnie, I wasn't sure what to do, since we had the room booked for two more nights. Well, I talked to my buddy at the Lake Fork Marina front desk/tackle shop and he said he had the perfect guide to salvage the trip because he is known for catching a lot of bass, with the occasional big fish too! I was hesitant because I didn't do any research on this guy and I wasn't planning on spending more money, but I decided to give it another try anyway.
We arranged to go out on a half day trip from 3pm to sundown the next day. I thought maybe the fishing would be better in the late part of the day when it was just a little cooler. Our guide was Eric Wright www.bestlakeforkguide.com Wow, this guy must be good or at least very confident with a website name like that! I very quickly found out that this guy is an awesome fisherman!! Even though he is only half my age, at age 20, he knows the lake like the back of his hand and can flat out whack 'em! He only recently started guiding after tearing up the local tournament scene and even foraying into the FLW tournaments. He knew that we (mostly my wife) just wanted to catch some fish so that we could go home happy, so we fished with dropshot rigs in spots where he knew would be holding fish, even if not 10 pounders.
Caught this one and several more like it on a Zoom Finesse Worm on a dropshot rig. It was fun catching fish with a technique I had never seriously fished before. I learned something new that day.
This lake is awesome!
Asian guy in a bass boat in Texas. Looks out of place!
Well, we caught several fish under a bridge, but when the action slowed, Eric took us to another spot, examined his graph, and idled up to a tree line. After several casts, I felt a tap on my finesse worm and set the hook. As soon as I did that, I felt the pull of a much bigger fish than what we had been catching under the bridge! Honestly, it didn't feel that strong, I guess because it wasn't making the blistering runs I am accustomed to from our tucs here. When it came up to the surface, I was pretty excited and so was Eric. I knew it wasn't close to a 10 pounder, but I suspected it had a chance of being a new personal best for me, and indeed it was! Eric measured it at 23". He didn't have a scale, but we estimated it at 7.5 lbs, which agreed with most online weight calculators that I have looked at.
Rod: Duckett Micro Magic 6'9" Med. Hvy. I bought this 2 days prior at a shop down the street from Lake Fork. This is the good white rod! I was totally unimpressed with the Abu Veritas when I saw them at Bass Pro Shops.
Reel: Shimano Curado 51E
Line: Seaguar Invis-X 15 lb. fluorocarbon
Lure: Zoom Finesse worm, texas rigged on a dropshot.
There's my wife with her headphones again!
A few more bass.
These white bass (sand bass) are threatening to ruin Lake Fork by competing against(and beating) the largemouths for food. The TPW has to do something before it's too late. The economies of the small towns around the lake depend heavily on the business that the bass fishing brings to the area, me being a prime example of this.
Eric Wright (Eazy-E) and I.
Turned out to be a good day. I think the conditions were better and the fish were just more active. We saw a lot of busting/schooling activity versus none the previous day. Eric easily caught at least twice as many as my wife and I did combined, but I had big fish of the day bragging rights! Eric is one heck of an angler. I wish I had that kind of skill.
Here are some other photos from our trip:
Some of the goodies I bought! Only 4 reels this time!
Academy stores had Curado E7's on clearance for $119, but they gave me an additional 10% off this one because it didn't have a box. Couldn't pass up a deal like that!
Stopped by Gary Yamamoto's shop in Mineola. Couldn't believe it when I saw they had the 2" white senkos on clearance still! I bought a few bags.
Stayed a night at the TEE PEE Motel in Wharton, TX. What a cool place!
My wife and her folks after we ate some of the best BBQ I've ever had at Hinze's BBQ in Wharton. I am having withdrawals right now!
My wife went crazy with buying 16 pairs of shoes! My Father-in-law asked if we don't sell shoes in Hawaii!! LoL!
When are they gonna open one of these in Hawaii? We've waited long enough!
I have to shop here at least 2 or 3 times during every Texas trip!
The Astros finally won a game we attended after losing the previous two.
Fireworks after every Friday night home game.
I liked the rod so much I had it shipped back home. I had originally planned to leave it at my in-laws' house until next year's fishing trip. I still hate the name though.
Despite the heat, we had a nice vacation. Always great to spend time with my in-laws and get away from work. Let's not forget the food! Love it! I have to lose the 10 pounds I gained now, plus the 10 pounds I never lost from last year! I will continue trying for that elusive double digit bass, or die trying! Thanks for reading.
Last edited by skunked on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:02 am

Skunked!

Awesome write-up and congrats on your 7.5 lbs personal best large mouth.

I look forward to your annual ventures to Texas.

Your first hand reports, road trips to Bass Pro Shop and family time with the gang is top notch.

Besides, I cannot hang the true "tackle ho"!! You da man!!

Like you, I too continue to persue the double digit bass. I've been in Singapore for over a month, can't wait to get home and go bass fishing.

Good luck next year my friend!!

Mel - Kahuna bass
Bass "tackle ho" second to Skunked!! :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Float Tube 27
master baiter level

Nice Trip.

Postby Float Tube 27 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:28 am

Made me want to take a trip. Thanks for sharing.

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:44 pm

all those zoom packs!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:55 am

Thanks Mel for the encouragement. I am seriously thinking about dragging the wife to Lake Falcon instead of Fork next year. Decisions, decisions!
Marcus, I bought the Zoom plastics because they are cheap and seem to work great. The ones I bought were all on sale and a few were on clearance for $1.88!! I shopped way less than in past years. I was proud of myself for being so disciplined!

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:36 pm

i got me a bunch of zoom finesse worms in red/black and watermelon red. when i was at bass pro this summer. also some zoom super flukes,

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Re: Lake Fork Trip #5a and 5b...Still looking for Big Mama!!

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:07 pm

skunked wrote:
These white bass (sand bass) are threatening to ruin Lake Fork by competing against(and beating) the largemouths for food. The TPW has to do something before it's too late. The economies of the small towns around the lake depend heavily on the business that the bass fishing brings to the area, me being a prime example of this.

That White Bass looks like a Aholehole on steroids. From what I gather these White Bass are much better eating than LM Bass. They sure look better eating. What's the bag limit on these White Bass? Maybe the bag limit needs to be increased.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:29 am

The bag limit is 25 per person, per day. Minimum length 10". The female can lay up to 900,000 eggs compared to the largemouth's 2000-10,000 (I could be wrong on this). I think Texas should make a special exception for Lake Fork and eliminate the bag limit before it's too late! Another victim of these fish is the crappie. Lake Fork used to be one of the top crappie lakes, but now it kinda sucks.

skunked
King Sushi level

Re: Lake Fork Trip #5a and 5b...Still looking for Big Mama!!

Postby skunked » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Ahnkochee wrote:
skunked wrote:

That White Bass looks like a Aholehole on steroids. From what I gather these White Bass are much better eating than LM Bass. They sure look better eating. What's the bag limit on these White Bass? Maybe the bag limit needs to be increased.

I had a thought about the similarity between our red devil problem and Lake Fork's white bass problem. Kudos to Jeff (filthyfisherman) for all his efforts in reducing the red devil threat. Hopefully they have someone with his spirit at Lake Fork.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:01 pm

NICE FISH! Looks like you had a great trip! I got to Texas last year on May 30 and it was 114! Still prefer that over 95 and 99% humidity down here in Ga though!

I was in Texas for 3 months and failed to get a double digit fish :( did however catch 5 that were 5lbs and a whole bunch of 4's.

Recently I broke off a bass at the boat that was an easy 7lbs :( and to make it worse it was during a tourney :( Had I landed that fish would have ended up in 2nd instead of 6th. This was a little over a month ago and it's still HAUNTING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have that same Duckett rod 6'9" MH. Got it for soft jerkbaits, ends up the handle is too long for me to use it for that. Now I use it for my small swimbaits and squarebill cranks...it's great for those!
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:53 am

Had to skip 2012 due to lack of $$$, but we are going back this year! We have a trip booked with the same guide www.ericwrightlakefork.com (new website) for next week. Not the best time to go, but we had no other option. Crossing fingers for a good trip. I am sure we will have a good time regardless though. I am prepping my reels right now. Wish us lunker luck!

Return to “Fishing Reports”