Tagged 4 More Bass

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Tagged 4 More Bass

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:44 pm

We tagged 4 more largemouth bass this week...

3966, LMB, 16",.... 1 1/2lb..... Blue Gill Bay,.... 12 Aug 11
3967 LMB, 16 1/2",... 2 lb.,.... B G B..... 12 Aug
3968 LMB, 18",.... 2 lb.,..... B G B...... 13 Aug 11
3970 LMB, 22",.... 4 lb. 6oz..... Blue Boat Pt..... 13 Aug

As you can see the largemouth are long and skinny.

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:42 am

Stan,

Looks like all had fun.

I agree with your comment, long skinny fish.

All your largemouth heads are much bigger than their bodies. If something doesn't get done soon, survival of the largemouth bass can become something of the past.

Mel - Kahuna bass
Largemouth feeling "no-love" :(
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:40 am

There you go Stan Bassmaster!!! lol See you can get on the Largemouth! Your from Texas man! Everyone can catch LM Bass if there from Texas! lol

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:28 am

kahuna bass wrote:Stan,

If something doesn't get done soon, survival of the largemouth bass can become something of the past.

I couldn't agree more. Me and a couple of others are meeting with the DLNR next week to get some wheels rolling!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Just did some research on the web. From the info I collected, We need to remove some preditory fish.. Keep the blue gills stocked! They spawn several times a year and seem to be best forage from what I read. And there aren't that many Blue gill at Wilson.. I caught 1 in the year I've been here... So that could be an easy fix,, The middle school should switch to raising Blue Gills, Pumpkin seed and Long ear... lol... "my home town gills"... And we should take the limit and size off the Red Devils.... Do they make all the Holes on the banks???? I think they do? And they are pretty aggresive caught like 10 this year on bass tackle...They look cool tho.. Its fun catching them! But I think we all would choose Largemouth Bass over Red Devils if all of us had to choose..... So get rid red devils, and stock Blue Gill. From what I looked at, the Blue Gill do good, reproduce several times a year,, live in same types cover "put LM Bass into good feeding patterns".. And so on....

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/fish/pdf/Largemou ... tsmall.pdf
http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biolog ... _bass.html
http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biolog ... _bass.html

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:04 pm

Filthy,
I don't think there is any size/limit on the red devils. Catch as many as you like and throw them on the bank when you're done unhooking them! They aren't good for much and take away forage from the LMB. The Middle School Hatchary has been raising BGs for years. As part of the federal grant, they had to sent them to Kauai. Now that the federal grant is gone, I forsee them finding their way into Lake Wilson.

You've located good info in the links. The second link is a reprint from http://www.pondboss.com and the third article is written by Bob Lusk, editor of Pond Boss magazine. Remeber the name Bob Lusk, you may see it again early next year! :wink:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Jesse
bass level

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Make a red devil tournament. Who ever has the most at the end of the day wins. Donate the entry fee money to the hatchery.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:06 pm

yep get rid of the devils and bring in some crayfish!! lotsa crayfish! bluegill work too. notice the bass get skinnier in the summer. must the metabolism outdoin the nurishment the shad provide, still dont think the bass and tucs cancel each other out, they did fine together for what 80 plus years. im still vested in some habitat restoration as well, they really did a number on laydowns and anything that hid salvinia when they eradicated, but of course they had no choice. wonder if we could get a spawning area set up for bass, i know the perfect spot, not too deep ans fairly large!

SteveLee
minnow level

Postby SteveLee » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Here is the pic of the 22" LMB caught off of Blue Pt. that Stan referred to above

and some other fish caught on Sat the 13th

Stan making Alan do all the work.....

Return to “Fishing Reports”