what went wrong

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

marcusn
King Sushi level

what went wrong

Postby marcusn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:33 pm

launched my kayak out this morning at around 8, paddled to boy scout island and there was fish busting everywhere! all around us from all angles. i was casting a white senko weightless and texas rigged. i caught 1 largemouth that was actually a good sized one, nice and fat. after that we caught NOTHING. even though we were right in the middle of the action, we couldnt get them to hit. we threw the senkos, poppers, roadrunners, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, jerkbaits. i even threw a wacky rigged senko in desperation. whats the big idea here??? do you guys have any idea what i was doing wrong haha? we were fishing these baits near the surface, we tried fast retrieves and slow ones.

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:05 pm

heres the largmouth i caught, doesnt look as fat in the picture but at least it wasnt skinny

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:34 pm

If I had to guess, I'd say you have to match what the Tucs are busting on, which is shad. The gold Kastmaster is classic in that situation, but its no garuntee. I've thrown a Kastmaster into busting Tucs, reeled it right thru them, then cast it out past them and pulled it thru them again, without a hit. Nothing is a garuntee in fishing.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

LCPointer
master baiter level

Postby LCPointer » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:47 pm

I fished next to you today and had a little better luck with 13 to the boat. Today the tucs wanted the lure ripped through the bust as fast as you can crank. I alternated between a 1/8 oz. gold Kastmaster and a silver and blue one. The tucs were very fussy about the retrieve speed. Even then my lure went through a lot of busts with no hook up. Holler at me next time and I'll help if I can.

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:55 pm

thanks guys for the tips, lcpointer we saw you reeling a couple in and we were like, man that guy must think we are idiots haha. i was even standing on my kayak cuz i couldnt cast it sitting down.

( 808) bass hunter
angler level

Postby ( 808) bass hunter » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:58 pm

step into the dark side!!! use the live bait!!! :evil: :twisted: :wink: :) :D :lol:

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:18 pm

if i had space i would have brought!! i was on my kayak and there was limited space...

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:31 am

Next time bring the throw net and the snag hooks! At least you caught something and I think you had fun just being out there. You will not take over the name "Skunked" from me any time soon! Keep plugging away and learn from the masters like Glenn, Stan, and Tommy. Good luck!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:08 am

My name doesn't deserve to be with those guys. The only thing I master is baiting! :lol: OK, ok,...keep it clean! :oops:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

WET
bass level

Postby WET » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:15 pm

gold kastmaster.... skim it across da surface while there busting..... gameover

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:54 pm

i think ill just bring my 3 prong and snorkel next time, to bad the water isnt clear..

Basshead
bass level

sat, 7-30-11

Postby Basshead » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:49 pm

Awesome day to be fishing. Get out your flippn sticks. Able to find a pattern within a pattern. Crazy! Some hawgs also. The water came up about a foot since last week. Tomorrow may be a little different cause they move so much. Every day is different. Also did some junk fishing, got a few. So get out there and catch your share, there waiting for you.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:38 am

A guy told me to throw the CastMaster (gold or silver/blue)
Let it sink to the bottom then rip it back as fast as you can.

I think the key is to just keep changing till you figure out the lure or the speed they like.

Don't you just hate it when people say:
"Well, that's why they call it fishing and not catching."
:twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:57 pm

My best bait for schooling tucs were the little rapalas in a shadish color or white..and those little pin minnows! But they are light and difficult to cast. What if found to get the casting distance needed what 8 or 10lb braid and add a 4ft leader of 6 or 8lb flouro...if you put a few yards of mono on your spinning reel first it helps keep the braid from slipping. Another trick is to only cast to busts, if they aren't busting at the moment just wait till they do. Kinda learned that if you don't cast to the bust in 3-5 seconds they wont eat your bait unless they missed the shad and are still searching.

Return to “Fishing Reports”