Sun. July 17

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Sun. July 17

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:00 pm

Chris had a fun morning, I think they said they caught 10 nice peacock bass.
All were spawning fish. Doug landed a 4 pounder on 4# test line yesterday :D

Shane just got back from the Mainland... he was nice enough to bring me some worm hooks from Bass Pro... something not sold here in Hawaii.

Schooling peacock bass were few and far between so we worked the shoreline. Small peacock bass, bluegills and red devils. He caught one that must be at least 4 pounds.., As he lifted it into the boat (read "swing" it into the boat the way the bass pros do it on TV) the fish came un-buttoned, hit the side of the boat and flipped back into the water.
(well, it was at least 10 pounds... any fish that gets away always weighs 10 pounds) :lol:

He also lost a a nice largemouth bass at the side of the boat... it jumped and tossed the lure. (must have been 10 pounds to) :twisted:

Partly cloudy, water was clear - 4 to 5 foot visibility. Water Temp.- 82 degrees. Nice strong trade winds.

The HFFA was having their monthly tournament... there was no parking left when I got there at 12:30. Lots of boats on the lake.

I wanted to try out my new Tenkaral rod... an AYU, 13 foot, 3 1/2 ounces, 5:5, a nice soft rod, the first 5 segments bend and the next 5 do not.

Here are the 3 fish I caught. I can't believe I missed all those little peacock bass.

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:42 pm

I saw you mentioned worm hooks not sold in Hawaii...If anyone is in the need of worm hooks order the roboworm rebarbs 2/0 and 3/0 are good for 6 to 8 inch worms...hands down the best hook for fishing worms. Even the really soft plastic worms like the roboworms stay buttoned up on those things.

Oh and by they way...I miss Lake Wilson! Fishing a tournament tomorrow at Oak Creek Lake in Bronte Texas, hopefully my KVD 1.5 square bill crankbait bite stays on...and I would put money down that they might do some damage at wilson fished in the lay downs!!! The KVD 1.5 and 2.5 come through thick brush with ease and they really do have that erratic searching movement they say they have. They will be running straight and true then all the sudden dart off to the left or right and then come back to running straight again. caught 10 last sunday fishing the "used" water of 5 bass boats while they caught nothing. Hope my pattern is still there for tomorrow. I'd probably use the 1.5 at Wilson over the 2.5. I sound like a salesman don't I!?

Hope you guys are slaying them!!

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:10 pm

i like the bandit 100 square bill cranks. one of my best largemouth lure. fish it near grass and theres usually something ready to rush out and take the lure. never tried the kvd's yet

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Try the KVD's you won't be sorry, IMO they are hands down better than the bandits..though I do like some of the colors the bandits have you can work them like a jerkbait too. My fovorite medium diving crankbaits are the bandit 300 series...I have loads of those guys! Here's my crankbait tip of the day :D when you find a color/model you like don't just buy one, get at least 2 that way when you lose it you have another!

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:32 pm

just looked at the kvd's, little more expensive but they look nice. were the ones that you got the silent ones? do bass sometimes prefer no rattles?

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Try the KVD's you won't be sorry, IMO they are hands down better than the bandits..though I do like some of the colors the bandits have you can work them like a jerkbait too. My fovorite medium diving crankbaits are the bandit 300 series...I have loads of those guys! Here's my crankbait tip of the day :D when you find a color/model you like don't just buy one, get at least 2 that way when you lose it you have another!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:41 am

Get the chartreuse with black back and maybe you can win the Lake Wilson Classic! I haven't noticed the erratic wandering with mine, but maybe I haven't been paying attention. I know they are definitely better quality than their regular cranks.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

djverve05
master baiter level

Postby djverve05 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:27 pm

KVD's sexy shad is a killer lure. Haven't tried it at Lake Wilson yet, but on the mainland it is a killer. I don't know what it is, but there is something about that crankbait that pisses the largemouth off.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:20 pm

That's the color Shane was catching on the other day black/chartreuse tail.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “Fishing Reports”