Back from Texas (picture)

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

skunked
King Sushi level

Back from Texas (picture)

Postby skunked » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:29 pm

Aloha,
I got back from Texas with 3 changes. I am now a married dude, I gained 10 pounds on real mexican food, and I actually caught some bass, including a PB of 6 lbs. I fished with a guide named Jimmy Everett on world famous Lake Fork on the 23rd of march. Between Jimmy, my wife, and I, we caught about 30 bass. Jimmy got a 7 pounder, I got the 6, and my wife got a 4 lb fish. Not the huge fish that I was hoping for, especially on this lake, but we had fun and there's always next year!! A few days later, Jimmy caught an 11 pounder! Damn, could've been me!
Last edited by skunked on Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:48 pm

Great job on the PB! Even with a guide it takes skill to get a decent sized bass on a pressured water like Lake Fork. What did you catch it on?

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:54 pm

Aloha Skunked, I was wondering if you have ever fished Lake Alan Henry? Hands-down, it's the hottest bass lake right now in Texas. I moved from Abilene 2 1/2 years ago and fished it for about 4 years and OHHH I miss it. It's a relatively new lake but the bass have quickly grown at a tremdous rate. Many are saying the new state record largemouth will come from the lake very soon. Next time you're in west TX check it out and you won't be disappointed. Here is a link: http://www.lakealanhenry.com Check out the fishing report on the site. You can review past years as well.
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:47 pm

Nice fish, Skunked. I noticed you shot the picture at an angle so as not to give a clue where you were on the lake. LOL What did you get it on?

Aloha,
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:04 am

bsp wrote:Great job on the PB! Even with a guide it takes skill to get a decent sized bass on a pressured water like Lake Fork. What did you catch it on?

Thanks. Just got home from work so I have more time to elaborate to those very few who may be interested.
All three of us mainly fished 5" Zoom Super Flukes in a green shade. They are used basically the same way as you would a Senko, but they are fish-shaped baits. They were Texas rigged (how appropriate!), and weightless. The best technique that day was "dead sticking" the bait for up to 30 seconds, then a couple of twitches. We would either feel a slight tick, or the line would start moving. We were fishing in about 6 ft of water in the spawning flats. Because of my inexperience with soft plastics, and my basic lack of skill as an angler (I suck), I know I could've caught more fish, but I probably missed several strikes. I know that I will do better next time.
The other technique we used was sight fishing on bedding fish. We flipped a big white tube bait past the bed, pulled it on to the bed, and then twitched it. Sometimes it would take dozens of flips until the fish would get agitated enough to hit. Other times, the fish would just ignore it or run away. A lot of times, the fish would do like tucs do and just "blow" the lure away without touching it. Also, a few times I messed up and scared the fish away with my inaccurate flips.
The equipment I used:
-- Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier Med. power 6'6" baitcast rod that I bought the day before on sale. Very nice rod for the money. I think I should've got the MH power instead though. I left it in Texas with my in-laws, but I liked it so much that I want to ask them to ship it to me.
-- Shimano Antares AR baitcast reel. Best reel I own.
-- P-Line CXX 15 lb. mono. This line is tough and strong. Maybe not the best for finesse applications though.
The whole experience was something special to me because it was all new to me, I was with the one I love, and I can't do these things at home in Hawaii.
-- Doing a "road trip". We drove 260 miles from Houston to Lake Fork with only one short stop at Whataburger!
-- Fishing from a boat in a huge 24,000 acre lake. It looked basically like a flooded forest. Every spot looked like it would hold a fish. I felt like I was in an ocean, and this is not even one of the bigger lakes in Texas! I think Lake Wilson is only about 300 acres.
-- It was a rush to be on plane in the boat and going 60 mph! It was like a fishing trip and an amusement park ride all in one!
-- Getting to do what I had been planning and dreaming about doing for almost a full year.
-- Learning to fish with soft plastics and actually catching fish! I call myself "skunked" for a reason!
-- Seeing wildlife such as turtles, ducks, and hawks
-- I didn't have to work!
-- I can't wait to go back!

About Lake Alan Henry: Yes, I have heard great things about this lake also. It has a way to go before it is gonna rival Lake Fork, but only time will tell. If you think it can produce a 19 pounder, then it must be an incredible fishery. Who knows if Fork can withstand all the angling pressure for much longer? There were A LOT of anglers on the lake. Others I'd love to try are Choke Canyon, Sam Rayburn, Fayette County, and of course Amistad. I tried Conroe in 2005. No bass for me but we caught 38 catfish!

Stan, the photo is at an angle because my wife was too lazy to stand up and take the picture! Hahaha!
Last edited by skunked on Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:41 pm

A few more pics
Jimmy's 2006 Skeeter
Jimmy with his 7 pounder that could've been 9+ pounds if it was pre spawn. This guy is only 24 and has been guiding full time since age 19, and he is already known as one of the best guides on the lake. Very impressive.
A decent one. Look at that lake! Wow!
Yes, for the 100th time, I know you caught the first fish! Good job!
This is a replica mount of a 19 or 20 pound bass found dead at the lake. Would've been the state record.
A huge bass at the Bass Pro Shops aquarium. What a fish.
Heaven! My niece recognizes their logo from the shows I watch on TV.
Last edited by skunked on Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:32 am

People not living in Hawaii just don't realize how excited we get over visiting a big fishing store on the mainland. When you live in a place that doesn't sell any freshwater gear and you have to order everything from a catalog...... visiting Bass Pro is a dream come true and Christmas and your birthday all in one. LOL
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:24 am

Aloha Skunked,

I know what you mean about the fishing pressure on the lakes. It can get crazy at times especially with the recreational boaters and jet skis. That is the main reason I stuck to the smaller, less known lakes in Texas. I'm thinking the Alan Henry could produce a state record given the numbers of Share-A-Lunkers (bass over 13 lbs) submitted in the past couple of years. The last time I heard the lake record was 15 lbs caught in 2006 I think. So it will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of years. I haven't fished Choke Canyon or the others you mention but there are so many good lakes in Texas I'd love to fish them all. I mainly fished Lake Brownwood, McCartey, Coleman, Clyde, Stamford, and Hubbard Creek. I think I'll make a lifetime goal to fish every one of them before I die. :shock: Do you think that is biting off more than I can chew?? :?
Dave

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:39 am

Aloha Stan,

I know exactly what you mean about getting excited about a fishing supply store. That reminds me of a story...When I lived in Altus Oklahoma in the late 80s early 90s a friend and I were just getting real serious about bass fishing. We joined a local bass club and fished tournaments out of his 14' john boat. Man, the looks and laughs we got from the other anglers when we showed up at the first tourney. You see they all had Rangers, Skeeters, Cobras and such and here we arrive with a jon boat...Good times and we did pretty darn good too and even won a few tournaments. Anyway, we once drove over 400 miles to Springfield, MO JUST to go to the Bass Pro Shop HQtrs. We were there when they had the Spring Classic. We saw seminars from Jimmy Houston, Hank Parker and others. Man were we in heaven! Our wives just didn't see all the hype but man we're talking about the Mecca of fishing stores!!! They still don't get it but hey, we who live to fish do. :P
Dave

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:53 pm

FishinFrenzy wrote:Aloha Skunked,

I know what you mean about the fishing pressure on the lakes. It can get crazy at times especially with the recreational boaters and jet skis. That is the main reason I stuck to the smaller, less known lakes in Texas. I'm thinking the Alan Henry could produce a state record given the numbers of Share-A-Lunkers (bass over 13 lbs) submitted in the past couple of years. The last time I heard the lake record was 15 lbs caught in 2006 I think. So it will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of years. I haven't fished Choke Canyon or the others you mention but there are so many good lakes in Texas I'd love to fish them all. I mainly fished Lake Brownwood, McCartey, Coleman, Clyde, Stamford, and Hubbard Creek. I think I'll make a lifetime goal to fish every one of them before I die. :shock: Do you think that is biting off more than I can chew?? :?

Lake Fork has just produced 2 more Share-A-Lunkers (13+ pound bass used to restock Texas waters in the hope of producing record size fish) in just the past 2 days! This is incredible to me after seeing first hand the amount of pressure it receives. They do have a 16"-24" slot limit which might be of some help.

The guide I went with posted a picture of me with my fish on the Texas Fishing Forum http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubb ... ost1238214

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:36 am

Good job skunked! Nice PB at 6lbs. Mine is only 4lb so far (2 fish for the PB) and I live in Canada with a lot of bass lake...so compare to you, I suck even more since I've been fishing here for over 10 year now :roll:

Hey Stan or skunked, if there's anything at Bass Pro that you want for freshwater and they are at a price that doesn't break my bank (each item under $20), let me know and I can pick up some for you. We have a Bass Pro in Toronto and I'll be paying it a visit before I leave on May 7th. :D

Anything like spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, special soft plastics, crankbaits...just let me know what colour, size, and quantity...I'll grab them for you if they are available at the Toronto location (sometimes we don't get everything...and then other times we have things that is not available online). That way, I can save you the shipping fee.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:08 pm

Ken, Thanks for the offer. I would like:
ABU Revo STX-L baitcast reel $199
G-Loomis GLX casting rod $345
Shimano Calais 201DC $650
Daiwa Steez casting reel $450
a dozen Lucky Craft live pointers $450
Thanks! You accept C.O.D., right? Ooops, I missed the part about the $20 limit.
(Just kidding)

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:04 pm

skunked, do you want left-handed or right-handed models of those? :roll: :twisted:

Yeah...I would love to have some of those reels as well :lol:

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

texas trip

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:11 pm

Congratulations on getting married, Skunked. Sounds like you had a great trip. Just some thoughts about your post. It is to bad we have to go else where to experience great bass fishing, especially since Hawaii has the potential to have good largemouth bass fishing. If only we could have a few more large reservoirs, we could use more water, but I guess land is to expensive.

Learning new places and new ways to catch fish is one of my favorite things about fishing. Even though I have fished a long time, I can honestly say I am a better fisherman than I was last year because I am learning all the time. Ironically, even though I feel I am getting better, in saltwater fishing, that does not translate into catching more fish. It is a battle of attrition on that front.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed May 30, 2007 9:17 am

I know of a nice little pond near the Helemano Plantation that they could easily stock with bass and fill with man made cover. It would be a great fishery until some idiot releases some red devils or jewel/convict cichlids into it. It would be so awesome to have other places to fish. Right now, that's just a dream.

Return to “Fishing Reports”