Weekend Catches

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

FishOnJohnson
bass level

Weekend Catches

Postby FishOnJohnson » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:17 pm

Hello everyone! This is my first official post of some of my catches. These were caught this past weekend. Tucs were taken on the 2" Senko, LMB on Terminator spinnerbaits

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Very nice first post!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Sweet!

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:29 pm

nice catches! whats your favorite color spinnerbait?

FishOnJohnson
bass level

Postby FishOnJohnson » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:36 pm

marcusn wrote:nice catches! whats your favorite color spinnerbait?

I have to say white w/silver blades and firetiger w/gold blades have both worked well for me. I just bought some new black ones though and will probably give those a try this weekend

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:57 am

That bass in the 4th picture looks like a good one! Good job! Are you new to fishing in general, or just new to the lake? Hope to see you out there one of these days.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

FishOnJohnson
bass level

Postby FishOnJohnson » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:56 am

I've been fishing for about 12 years now. I'm fairly well rounded but specialize more in bass and trout since I grew up in central California. I've been fishing the lake for a year now and will continue to do so for the next 3 years. Me and my wife are the ones out there on the weekends in a 12' Fish Hunter inflatable boat, paddling our asses off! We haven't been able to go farther than Mikimiki pt. I'm looking into getting a trolling motor setup in April hopefully.

Chaess
bass level

Postby Chaess » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:50 am

I feel ur pain. My son and I have a tandem kayak and have only gone up to bluegill bay. I can only imagine how hard it is to paddle a inflatable. At least my son or I can take a break while the other paddles. But we do get a lot of exercise. Do you guys catch anything trolling?
I hope you get that motor soon.

Chaess
bass level

Postby Chaess » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:50 am

I feel ur pain. My son and I have a tandem kayak and have only gone up to bluegill bay. I can only imagine how hard it is to paddle a inflatable. At least my son or I can take a break while the other paddles. But we do get a lot of exercise. Do you guys catch anything trolling?
I hope you get that motor soon.

FishOnJohnson
bass level

Postby FishOnJohnson » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:16 am

Yea the execise is good. My wife and I take turns as well, she insists, I don't make her...haha. I just ordered my motor mount. I'll try to go to West Marine this weekend to get my motor and battery, I can't wait! We haven't tried trolling. We always just cast our lure at/along the shores we paddle by. I'm not too fond of trolling. Is it a productive method at lake Wilson?

Chaess
bass level

Postby Chaess » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:38 am

I'm a newbee to the lake. Only fished a few times. Sometimes trolling works with lures. I will definetly say it's harder to cast from a kayak. But we make due. We have a hard time anchoring by shore. So we will try to coast along side the shore next time. Maybe after you get ur motor we can
tow our kayak, lol.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:02 pm

You certainly can pick up a fish or two while trolling. A dropshot rig with a 12"-18" leader would be my bet.

As far as trolling motor mounts, my son-in-law made one for his kayak out of a 1x4, 2x4, and a cheap door hinge! Not a lot of science involved! :lol:

LCPointer
master baiter level

Postby LCPointer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:22 pm

Just for your information, as soon as you power your inflatable or kayak, it becomes a powered craft and must be registered. If you keep it human powered then no registration is needed. On the rare occasion that DLNR is on the lake, I have never been stopped except for fish surveys. Others have reported having to show their registration, PFDs, etc.

FishOnJohnson
bass level

Postby FishOnJohnson » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:06 am

Thank you for the heads up! How and where do I go about getting my inflatable registered? Also, does it cost anything to do so? Are PFDs need for every individual in the boat? Thanks again for all the help!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Yes, a PFD is needed for each person on the boat. Just like fishing from a bank, each fisherman needs their own PFD. Boat registration is just a few bucks. IIRC, about $10.00.

Return to “Fishing Reports”